All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Mark, using a tipping roll to try to make the center and get the correct radius without something for it to form to would be very hard to accomplish.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Default Nadia Tool Holder

Mark,

This is the tool holder for the Pullmax that's being discussed. It's fairly easy to make profile inserts. http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showt...ighlight=nadia

I wonder - if you made a set of dies with the right profile, if you could simply hammer them together by hand to get the shape you want? I don't know how much distortion you'd end up with though.

I still think the best bet with limited tools is a hammer form. Create one out of oak or other hardwood (preferred, but MDF might work), then use various hammers to work the metal into the shape. You would be making the female profile. For sharp edges, you can beef your hammer form up with a strip of metal, imbedded into the wood. If you have a muffler gun, you could make your own low power flow forming tool to help with the work. Do a search here and look for hammer forms or flow forming for more info.

Hopefully Blake from Walden's will chime in and give us an idea of how they make the profile.

John
Old 01-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Played in the shop for about half and hour to see what I could do with the basic shape you wanted. It is not the same radius or width that you are trying to make but I used what I had for rolls.

Top side

Bottom side

End view

I did the two outside rolls first and then ran the tipping die through the center backed up with a contoured roll. Put the sheet in a brake to flatten it and make it level. Did this on both sides. With the right set of rolls it can be done in your bead roller. I used my portable bead roller to make the panel. Here is a picture of it with the radius die I used in it

Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 PM

I wish Lazze had the time to post here,

He would have done that in just a few minutes,

It helps to have all his dies that interchange and years of experiance using them

Dave
Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Dave, most people don't have the Lazzie bead roller or his dies. We are trying to help Mark make the panel with what he has, a beefed up Harbor Freight bead roller. If I was going to make the panel it wouldn't be with a bead roller but with a Nibbler and a set of dies. One pass and your finished. How would you make the panel?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 PM

Default 1932 ford beadline

Looks like Joe is on to something with what he has in the pic. Thats basically what I was loking for. Like he said , not the same radius ,just useing what he had there but the same results it appears to me with a little tweeking. The panel is approx. 30 inches long with about a 1 inch crown in the lenght of it. Did that just put a wrinkle in this way of doing it? Thanks Mark
Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Mark, you would have to put the crown in the panel before you start making the details of the belt line. Just another step in the process. To do it in a bead roller you will probably need two people to handle the panel that long. You don't want the panel to sag when you are running it through the roller.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 PM

Joe, I saw a picture of a "poor mans pullmax" one time. Basically it was two pieces of flat iron( in the pic it looked like 3/8" X 4" about 24 inches long), bolted together with a spacer on one end and the dies on the other. It took two guys to run it. The power came from a hammer taping on the dies. Welded a tab in the throat for the fence too I believe. The guy made some nice parts with it as I recall.

Just a thought, because custom bead roller dies are a ton of work but a quick set of pullmax dies can be made with a grinder and a file in a few hours.

Mike
Old 01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2020

This is how I have always done mine. I have been using these split type of rolls for 30 some years.

A roller works fine. Dies are fairly simple. one lower shaped roll to make the first narrow bead then change the bottom shaped roll to the wider one and change upper spacer to a wider one. Roll next bead with one upper disc following in previous track of last bead.

It doesn't take much pressure on dies to make wide beads. So even a weaker roller should work if the shafts are long enough. If not you can do it with half rolls, same as in drawing but only half of the upper and lower rolls. ( one disc upper and one side of lower but will have to reverse it for long bottom of door panel won't fit through roller gap) 4 passes instead of two.

Laying out the line is the hardest part. for depending on how much the panel leans in at the bead line the bead line will need to be a slight curve to look straight on car.

32beads.jpg

Last edited by TheRodDoc; 01-26-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 PM

Default 1932 ford beadline

Thanks for the reply and another great idea, I guess what I really need to do is get in the shop and get busy trying some of these. I also need to get away from work to have some shop time. Thanks for all the replys and ideas, it's greatly appreciated. Thanks Mark