All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM

I had to cut some galv with a torch for an air duct into a spray paint booth, the space was confined and i breathed quite a bit. A few hours later i checked myself into the emergancy room, i couldn't tell anybody what was wrong because i didn't have enough air in my lungs to make words. I had a collapsed lung amoung other things. I don't know anything about 'flu like symptoms' but i was poisoned and in bad shape. To this day i cannot abide the smell of galvanised metal getting hot. I would not weld on it for any reasons, clean metal might be hard to get, but it isn't impossible to get. Your health is not replaceable.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 PM

Years ago at times I use to arc weld alot of gal. 16ga. duct work. The old guys (thats me now) allways told me to get a couple of those little boxs of milk outa the machine and drink it befor I started welding, sure did make alot of smoke clouds and the white stuff floating thru the air.
Never did get sick, but now were not allowed to weld the stuff
Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 PM

I have welded galvanized from time to time. I do as Kerry does, hold my breath & try to keep the area ventilated. I can't imagine there are many health benefits to breathing galvanize fumes to so like to avoid it.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 PM

Hey Guys,
I'm a sheet metal worker by trade and at my shop I do almost all the welding and 50% of it is galvanized metal. I've been welding galvanized metal for about 25 years and I have ingested my share of smoke on a few occasions. I wouldn't say that its NOT bad, and I'm pretty sure long term over exposure can cause death (In extreme cases), I will say that it's much worse than just flu like symptoms, zinc is a heavy metal so it doesn't take much of it to upset normal levels in your body that could lead to heavy metal poisoning. Not sure where those other guys got there info but, OSHA does regulate the amount of zinc individuals may be exposed to in the workplace. Welding galvanized metal should not be taken lightly in my opinion. This information was given to me buy my doctor when I got sick from over exposure to galvanized fumes. I'm not trying to say everyone that inhales welding fumes is going to die but I can say that it is NOT good for you. By the way try reading the warning labels that come with your welding rods/wire, theres a whole bunch of bad stuff in there already. Well I just wanted to add my two cents on this topic, I think it's important!

Aloha,

Last edited by Copper Craft; 01-24-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:13 AM

I think that this article is helpful

http://www.sperkoengineering.com/htm...Galvanized.pdf

The part I find most relevent to the question at hand is under the heading "Zinc Fumes -- A Safety Hazard?" where it states "Zinc oxide is non-toxic and non carcinogenic." It does list the negative effects that are felt from inhaling zinc fumes but does state that these effects "metal fume fever" eliminate themselves within 48 hours.

That;s horrible that OJH received a collapsed lung but I cannot see that being a result of simply welding galvanized metal (I could be wrong but i have never heard of anything like that before.)

Copper craft is right about welding in general giving off bad fumes. I was taught that welding fumes from both SMAW and GMAW are cancer causing. I think that I am more worried about that than weather or not I fill sick the next day. I don't do any welding (galvanized or not) in poorly ventilated areas.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:22 AM

Hey everybody, I also found this on the Occupational Safety & Health Administration Website. This is the American Governments understanding of the hazards associated with welding galvanized metal (and others). I think that it goes well with the other article i posted.

http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtrai.../weldhlth.html
Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 AM

Default Welding fumes

Guys, welding any metal is bad for you. Stainless, brass, copper, galvanized, even black iron. I am a sheet metal worker by trade for 30 years and have welded miles of galvanized and stainless. Good ventalation is a good rule. Also keep out of the smoke plume. Lots of guys I know like to get right in to their work and end up with their head in the smoke ( I call it face welding because they get their face right up close to the work ). Also wear a respirator with the correct filters. 3M makes a good one that will fit under the welding hood. I know, I know, they are uncomfortable and hot and dah dah dah. It's better than hacking a lung for a week or maybe worse. If you are welding for hours at a time I would recomend a weldind hood with filtered positive air flow. We use Speedglass welding hoods http://store.cyberweld.com/speedfresair.html . They cost $1250.00 but it's the best way I know to keep from breathing the fumes. Keep in mind that grinding or sanding these metals is almost as bad as welding them. Use a respirator. Good luck and be safe.

Chris
Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

I would rather strip paint off old hoods or roofs and use them than weld galvanized metal . I nearly suffocated to death from a bad case of pneumonia 3 ½ years ago . After being busted up in a helicopter crash and a car crash I can personally tell you there’s nothing scarier than trying to breath and you can’t get air into your lungs, the sense of impending death you get is second to none . Galvanized sheet welds like poop and because I have a new found respect for my lungs, well I just have no desire to weld it and become another statistic . Maybe fence posts outside with a good mask but using it for body work just isn’t going to happen in my shop . ~ John Buchtenkirch

Last edited by John Buchtenkirch; 01-24-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:14 PM

Default galvinized

You could always buy a full face respirator from eastwood and you could weld your heart out. Getting paint to stick to galvinized requires different prep as well.
Rondo
Old 01-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Default Vinegar wash

Tim,

In the past we used the vinegar wash on galvanized parts to cause the paint to stick, not to remove the zinc.

John