All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 AM

Thanks everybody. I am going to try a few pieces with FSP just to see how it goes. I am going to try to make it down to the Meet in Lethbridge if I can. I am down there on occasion and this makes a good excuse to go.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 PM

A flexible shape pattern is by far the best way to go if you want to replicate an existing part.

A paper pattern is a great learning tool. Since you are just getting started, (I assume you have made your first practice bowl and want to move on to something else), start with a flat sheet of paper and make it conform to the shape you want to make. Since paper does not stretch, the places where the paper folds over is where the metal will need to shrink. If you have to cut slits, that is where the metal has to stretch. The paper is a good road map for where the metal needs to go, and it is cheaper than metal.

Give it a try. As with any skill, you need to develop an intuitive feel for what is happening.

Hope this helps!

Next time you see Santa, tell him I deserve to be moved from the "naughty" list to the "nice" list.