All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-29-2018, 12:17 PM

Default Ford Consul Capri

In the 80s my dad drove this Consul Capri round everywhere, until in 1987 he took it to the infamous Chelsea cruise in London, then parked it up at the family farm where it sat for the next 30 years until we pulled it out and I began restoring it in my spare time. I wish I had some full pics of it but none were taken before the wings and doors were taken off by my dad so I'll have to get a pic of it in the workshop as it is soon.

I'm 25, working as a mechanic but hate working on modern cars, paying for new diagnostic software every couple of years that only works half the time, chasing electrical gremlins and just generally getting poor pay. I've been starting out doing a lot of welding and fabrication jobs for myself, the money is better and I like it a lot more because you know where you stand with rusty steel, it hasn't changed since time began! This said, I do find myself mostly doing jobs that are in and out, mig welding a quick patch on a sill etc which pays great but is a bit soul destroying.
As such it's nice to have a project like this to get on with. She's pretty rot in some tough places, the worst being the wings and the OSF A pillar but I'm confident I can do it.
This week I spent a couple days making up this section of the front valance. I took many measurements and produced a buck to form the top half of the piece then formed the middle and lower section after. I feel 90% happy with it and think I could have got it 100% of the way there if time weren't an issue. Main tools were shrinker/stretcher, hammers and dollies and the TIG.

Will post more pictures up when I have them!
Old 12-29-2018, 04:58 PM

Looks like you’ve got a fair bit of work ahead of you George but it’ll come right if you’ve got the patience and determination to do it. A lad where I did my apprenticeship in the early 80’s had one of these as well and I always thought they looked like a 1950’s American car. It’s a shame they had such a weedy little engine in them but at least you could stand next to it in the engine bay to work on it

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct. 2018

Tidy job on that corner i like a good resto project especially when im watching Ill look forward to to updates.