All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-29-2019, 12:19 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default My new (for me) arbor press

Maybe 8 or 10 years ago I bought this cast iron base (used for who knows what ?) at the Thompson, CT. race track swap meet for $30. I brought it home where it was was stored outside and had become partially buried from dumping snow mixed with dirt on it during winter clean ups. Then by chance some 3 or 4 years ago I was at the same meet when I ran into this 12” deep throat arbor press for $150. I drug it home where it just lay, another project growing dust and in the way at times. A month ago I had a aha moment when I realized the forgotten base was a nearly perfect fit for the arbor press.

We aluminum oxide blasted the base but the paint on the press was good enough to paint over. The mid adapter is 3 pieces of two by twelves glued together with all of the mounting bolts going completely thru all 3 pieces. The handle hole in drive pinion was egg shaped from wear so I machined a bushing and used silicon bronze to braze it in as well as brazing a nut on to hold a detent-pin to center the handle. I also used a plasma cutter to make 6 slots on the base edge so I can now use a pry bar to move it around the shop. After that was just the normal clean-up & paint. Then I machined some adapters so I can use my Pullmax tooling and Chicago Pneumatic hammer dies as well as made a mount for my shot-bag. I was very lucky, the throat was just high enough so my tooling fit. I’m curious to see how much I will use this press in the future, I’ve managed to get by without it for so many years. ~ John Buchtenkirch
arbor1.jpg

arbor2.jpg

arbor6.jpg

arbor7.JPG

arbor3.JPG

arbor4.JPG

arbor5.JPG
Old 07-31-2019, 01:54 PM

One thing I forgot to cover in my previous post on the arbor press was the modification I did to the round plate with the 4 different sized slots. It pivots on a short pin, I pressed that out and used silicon bronze to braze in a longer bolt with the head cut off. Then I used ¾” hex stock to make an extra-long nut I could use to lock that round plate from rotating. I also made a second not as quite long nut to lock down my Pullmax tooling holder so I can now lock down either with just a ¾” combination wrench………. that is what you are seeing in my final photo in the previous post . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 07-31-2019, 03:37 PM

Great idea with the pullmax tooling out of curiosity do you think plasma cut edge on cast iron will be more prone to fracture?
Old 08-01-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rivet View Post
Great idea with the pullmax tooling out of curiosity do you think plasma cut edge on cast iron will be more prone to fracture?
To be honest it’s the first time I ever cut cast iron with a plasma cutter so I have no hands on experience to base a answer on. However being the base isn’t going thru heating & cooling cycles and isn’t subjected to vibrations my best guess is there will not be problems. Franky and I winched it off its dolly and moved it 12 feet in just under 10 minutes……. almost impossible to do in that time without the pry-bar slots so I’m glad I added them. If I need to rotate the press a few degrees to fit in a larger sheet it will only take a few moments, also because of the slots. ~ John Buchtenkirch
arbor22.jpg