All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-25-2018, 05:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
Hammer, dolly, slapper and a gas torch. If you have one a stud gun would be helpful as well. Start with one section and see how it does. Hand held planishing hammer will only get you so far (unless your name is Kent White) if you have limited experience using one. Most of the areas on the roof and back of the cab look like they will work out nicely. If you are looking for a quick way sorry there really isn't one. Gonna take some hard work on your part. Dive in and if you get stuck there are lots of guys here willing to help.
Thanks Chris.
Yep... a good handheld "body and fender re-shaping hammer" (Milwaukee Electric's name for theirs) can be fit with some great dies for straightening that 20 ga. (It also helps one's physical condition in the upper body.)
The gas torch is also a necessity, because the tiggy can't heat shrink for beans.
And the slapper and dolly will be great for the door areas and cab edges that are in behind braces and flanges.
I see a lot of fun work there.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:45 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

IMO you could straighten most of what you have there with a heavy general purpose dolly (sometimes called track dolly) or even a piece of RR track 4 or 5” long with also a nearly flat faced body hammer. You’d have to rough it back to pretty close to its true form anyway before using a planishing hammer to smooth & blend anyway so I’d say thinking a Planishing hammer is the quick answer to your many dents is a fantasy dream at best. You will have to remove the inner panel & maybe even some of the frame on that door to get to those dents in the corner of the window. One thing for sure……… by the time you finish that cab you will have developed some real metal straightening skills . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 04-26-2018, 12:24 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post

You’d have to rough it back to pretty close to its true form anyway before using a planishing hammer to smooth & blend anyway so I’d say thinking a Planishing hammer is the quick answer to your many dents is a fantasy dream at best. . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Some of our experience varies, evidently.
But that experience evidently came around long before I got a Ram's Head and read their booklet and tried the methods therein --
and then designed some "more helpful" dies ....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:01 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I don't see anything there that can't be done with basic hand tools. Hammers, dollies, slapper, shrinking disc,or small torch, vixen file, and a little patience.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:12 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 1957 View Post
I don't see anything there that can't be done with basic hand tools. Hammers, dollies, slapper, shrinking disc,or small torch, vixen file, and a little patience.
I couldn’t agree more, it just looks bad because the damage covers a lot of area. The only area that might be tuff is the corner of the window on the door and only there because of possible lack of backside access. As far as fender / planishing hammers go my feelings are if you have to ask about using one you may likely do more damage (stretching) with one than good. Having said that I love my Watervliet but admittedly went thru the usual learning curve when I first purchased it. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 04-27-2018, 05:02 PM

Hello William,

I am waiting with anticipation for Photos of you getting stuck into it, the Roof on my model A was worse than that, I used a butane Torch from Bunnings for Shrinking and lots of Hammer and Dolly work, it didn't magically happen over night but it did happen over a few weeks.

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onya View Post
Hello William,

I am waiting with anticipation for Photos of you getting stuck into it, the Roof on my model A was worse than that, I used a butane Torch from Bunnings for Shrinking and lots of Hammer and Dolly work, it didn't magically happen over night but it did happen over a few weeks.
I'm away working on a Pipeline, so i wont be home for a few months, dad is at the shop working on the mill in the distance in front of the Model A he just got it placed after we sripped it and All-metal Bondo'd the casting marks, and we painted it Allis-Chalmers Grey. my shops are work in progress only been in there a couple years and spent most of my time on the road working to pay for it.

so i spend my time on the net trying to learn how to do the projects i acquire along the road.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Here is a similar project from a few years back. It just takes time and patience. Good luck. Here is a link to some other info that might be of some help.

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/Projec...widebed01.html

Name:  fbay1205 014.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  fbay1205 043.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  Will Cronkrite 04.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  64.7 KB
Old 05-01-2018, 07:58 PM

nice finish product there, were not going for quite that nice just less dents and damage.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:24 AM

Default air planisher

When my son was working on his bucket he hung the HF planisher from a 2 X 6 with weight lifting irons to teter totter it from the gantry crane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg planish crane.jpg (83.5 KB, 272 views)