All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Metal Shaper of the Month, April 2011, December 2012, May 2016

I've found that when I have to work in uncomfortably cold temperatures, wearing a dust has a positive impact on how cold I feel. It seems to capture the heat in my breath on the exhale and pre-warm the cold the air on the inhale. The condensation that forms in the mask acts as a heat sink.

I also find that a pair of thin nitrile (or latex) gloves worn under my work gloves slows the evaporative cooling of water vapor leaving my hands, and makes any gloves feel warmer. For me, these two "tricks" really make a big difference.

www.markgoodenough.com
Old 02-05-2015, 11:51 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark g View Post
I've found that when I have to work in uncomfortably cold temperatures, wearing a dust has a positive impact on how cold I feel. It seems to capture the heat in my breath on the exhale and pre-warm the cold the air on the inhale. The condensation that forms in the mask acts as a heat sink.

I also find that a pair of thin nitrile (or latex) gloves worn under my work gloves slows the evaporative cooling of water vapor leaving my hands, and makes any gloves feel warmer. For me, these two "tricks" really make a big difference.
I sure like these "keep warm" tips of yours, Mark. As a skier in -10F temps, they really make sense. And maybe a hat, too? Like an old ww2 Marine used to tell us kids, "wear a hat to keep your feet warm."

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:48 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Default Ear plugs, silk and leather hats

If you're not already wearing them to protect your hearing, wearing ear plugs me feel much warmer. Probably comparable to a hat for retaining body heat. Seems to even boost a regular knit hat unless it's 100% windproof turtle fleece or similar.

Foam or cotton are better and NR rating seems irrelevant. Been doing this since riding motorcycle in VT as yr round as possible, snow machines, regular outdoor working there and here in SC yr round in my open studio.

Ear plugs and silk (scarf, long johns, shell jacket) are stand-by cold weather gear for me. My silk aviator scarf and ear plugs are always with my bike gear. The scarf works much like a dust mask mentioned above to help warm air you breathe, but is literally windproof. really fantastic to keep drafts from chilling your neck & core. Silk glove liners are too slippery for my liking.

A real leather hat, especially with real fur or good insulation that's not too tight on your head like a Trooper's hat with flaps, is typically too warm to wear most of the time even way below zero in VT if you're working very hard. A hat like that will let you wear a lighter coat to benefit motion and still keep you warm if you're moving.

Edit- and after near record cold days here this week, forcing yourself to work on the coldest day(s) of the winter makes any day or days after that that are even slightly warmer seem much more comfortable.

Last edited by cliffrod; 02-20-2015 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Addition of info