All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-05-2015, 12:04 AM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2020

Location: Fortuna California -- up north behind the redwood curtain

This is the cowl firewall transition having a 90 degree brake put in with a 1/2" radius bull nose.
Checking trial fit and tuning up panel for welding.
The TIG welding begins with tacks about every inch.
Cowl transition fully welded and cleaned up except for the center that will be cut out and boxed in.

Last edited by qkiss; 07-09-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:53 PM

The cowl center cutout is boxed and TIG welded. Straps top and bottom are used as chill plates and the strap going across the opening is used as a hand rest while welding.
Boxed section after clean up.
The engine is set back in the chassis and the cutout is for easy access to the back of the carburetor.
The cowl firewall transition moves the firewall back in relation to engine set back.

Last edited by qkiss; 07-09-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2016

Great work Steve! Doing a 25.1E chassis is a big deal. Combining it with all the sheetmetal and tinwork makes it quite impressive! Hell, I've been mulling over cutting out the cage in my Outlaw 8.5 car and going 25.5 for years. lol

I always loved the T-bolts. I got to see one of Reggie Jackson's at a local car show. Even being a Chevy guy, there is something impressive about a 427 Side Oiler. Definitely cool.

Keep the pics of the shaping work coming.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:53 AM

Hi Steve, your work is very impressive. I was wonder how your radius bar is held in place on the folder. Do you have tabs under it to hold it in place? Or do you clamp it down? Hope you don't mind me asking. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=SWT Racing;113952]Great work Steve! Doing a 25.1E chassis is a big deal. Combining it with all the sheetmetal and tinwork makes it quite impressive! Hell, I've been mulling over cutting out the cage in my Outlaw 8.5 car and going 25.5 for years. lol
I always loved the T-bolts. I got to see one of Reggie Jackson's at a local car show. Even being a Chevy guy, there is something impressive about a 427 Side Oiler. Definitely cool
Thanks SWT. ------ It is ending up to be a bigger job than first thought. There are limited fiberglass parts available for the 64 Fairlane. Could not find a fiberglass one piece front end with lift off hood and the fiberglass front fenders I got are heavier than the steel. The front end is going to be modified and custom built adding more work to the build along with some other modification. --

Last edited by qkiss; 07-09-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD View Post
Hi Steve, your work is very impressive. I was wonder how your radius bar is held in place on the folder. Do you have tabs under it to hold it in place? Or do you clamp it down? Hope you don't mind me asking. Keep up the good work.
Thanks JWD --- Took a little time to get back to you. I wanted to take some pictures. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
This is the flat bar used in the above post.----- With the round bar setting flat on the table slide a piece of flat bar up next to it so it just touches keeping both the bar and the strap flat on the table.Tack weld them just on the vary ends.
Turn it over and skip weld the bottom side . Use an under cut type weld to keep it below the surface as this is the surface that clamps to your work.
Keep the welding to a minimum. Do not get carried away with the welding as it can pull and distort the bar.
No welding on top of the strap as you will see in the next photo.
To leave a clean receiver pocket for the upper beam or fingers to nest.
Or another way it can be accomplished with a finger bake is to remove the fingers and make up a bolt in radius nose bar.

Last edited by qkiss; 07-09-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 PM

Hi Steve, thanks for the effort you put into your reply it is much appreciated. You certainly do a nice job. Thanks for the detailed information.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:12 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

I like the last solution for me as I cannot adjust the bottom bar in and out to move it forward.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:50 PM

Poster board patterns being developed.
The patterns can have several layers of poster board and masking tape on it to develop a good fit.If you look closely you can see the tape.The round washers were turned on a lathe to the appropriate size to accurately transfer punch the centers.
To fit the panels around a tube they must go past center from both sides with flanges that over lap if they are to be riveted or screwed together with fasteners. If it is to be welded a 3/16" - 90 degree flange can be broke on each panel on the center line and fusion weld the flange lips together. The firewall material is 22 gauge cold roll .029.
The transmission opening in the firewall has a 1/4" 4130 tube welded to it to soften the edge and as a stiffener. The transmission tunnel will be removable and the transmission will go in and out from the inside of the car.
There are 3 panels meeting at the tube. Note how the clecos are on the tube center line of the over lapping panels.The lower panel is stepped down @ the top panel parting line and the top panel has a little edge treatment in the same area.

Last edited by qkiss; 07-09-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:20 PM

Default Really nice workmanship.

Really nice workmanship. Most people don't realize the time and thought that goes into building a drag car. Fred26t