All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 PM

I use sharpies all the time, but use acetone to dissolve and clean it up, if you haven't tried it. I've found it works well.

Kevin
Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 AM

Default Sharpie lines

All residual ink was removed, it was the ghost lines left in the copper that were the issue. Planishing over them did remove the ghost lines.

IMG_1884.jpg

I do want to do an experiment one of these days to determine if the issue with Sharpie's leaving ghost lines is caused by the ink being pressed into the metal via e-wheel or planishing, or, if it's an acid based solvent used to keep the ink flowing, that is leaving an etched mark.

FYI - to remove a Sharpie ink line, simply go over it with the Sharpie. The solvent in the fresh ink will cause the old ink below to liquify, and you can just wipe it off. A hint learned from Norm's Speed Shop.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:11 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2018

i experienced same issue with sharpie and 316L stainless. a "ghost line" embedded into material after planishing.

i am not sure of the chemical etching theory as this issue doesn't crop up if no planishing was involved.
i have left sharpie marks on material for days and they clean up nicely if no planishing was invovled. but i am happy to be proven wrong as having sharpie lines to guide my planishing work is a great aid.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:00 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

I am busy with a 8' copper dome and have had the same issue even in areas where I haven't wheeled.
It seems the ink is either etching the copper, or protecting the area covered by ink from tarnishing. Or a combination of both.
Solvent removes the ink, but leaves brighter areas where the ink was.
Polishing removes it, but only with some effort (making me believe there is some etching happening)

Interestingly some of the black lines left by one brand of marker were much tougher to remove (took a LOT of rubbing with thinners) in areas where the ink adjacent to welded areas was left on. Another brand didn't do this....
Old 11-17-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I am busy with a 8' copper dome and have had the same issue even in areas where I haven't wheeled.
It seems the ink is either etching the copper, or protecting the area covered by ink from tarnishing. Or a combination of both.
Solvent removes the ink, but leaves brighter areas where the ink was.
Polishing removes it, but only with some effort (making me believe there is some etching happening)

Interestingly some of the black lines left by one brand of marker were much tougher to remove (took a LOT of rubbing with thinners) in areas where the ink adjacent to welded areas was left on. Another brand didn't do this....
I think the ink is protecting the copper rather than etching it. I've used Sharpie to label tin cans which have eventually gone rusty because they're kept in a damp shed. The last bit of tinplate to go is that under the Sharpie marks.

Dave Cameron