All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-20-2019, 02:45 PM

I noticed it had your White Crown/ Will Cronkrite logo on the sail panel. Was that original to your build? Whether it was or not, cool that they kept it or reproduced it.
Thanks for the pics, that was quite the collection.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

I got with the folks at the Atlanta Motor Speedway this afternoon to clear up some confusion regarding the Greg Fielding NASCAR History book that showed that we were not entered in the Spring race at the Atlanta track. They provided me with my entry form that showed both Elliott's name as driver and Jolly Rancher as the sponsor. They also had us as taking a qualifying attempt on the first day (fastest 20) but we did not go fast enough to get in on the first day, but the track records showed that we did qualify on the second day, but did not start the race because we cut a RF tire going into turn 1, and ended up against the wall in turn two during the subsequent practice session. We were not able to repair this car at the track, so we were unable to start, which cleared up my memory of being there and cutting the tire, but the records for that event show that were did not start the race. I mention all this to say that I have tentatively identified this Atlanta car as the one that Bill has, so that is how it will be restored. Bill is busy until after the upcoming Daytona race and indicated that he will most likely begin to tear it down at that time so we can take a better look at what he has to start with.

Here is a picture of that car up against the 2nd turn wall in Atlanta in 1982.

imagesIDJGQNQZ.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 12-20-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:46 PM

A few months ago a car with your logo on the hood was on Craigslist in Bristol,Tn. for sale. I saw the ad on my phone. The ad said it was a movie car and I think it had a paint job like the car you and Dale ran. The ad also had the photo of you and Dale kneeling beside the original car. It was the picture I saw at your shop.
Is this car the same one in the ad or is another car out there?
Old 12-21-2019, 08:32 AM

I think that was a car from the movie '3'. It was a real stock car, poorly done, with torch cut fender wells, etc. I'm pretty sure I saw that ad.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:36 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

Cool history!
Old 12-25-2019, 08:13 PM

The Atlanta track sent me this entry blank and the picture that is in this post has been verified to be the car that is shown as crashed at Atlanta. It was right after the car was built and was in Charlotte to announce the addition of the Western Steer Steakhouse to the sponsorship of the Jolly Rancher Candy folks. It is this car that I believe to the one that was repainted for the Stroker Ace movie, and is the one found in the mountains. Some one had repainted the number on it and tried to make a street car out of it.

promo2.jpg

a47.jpg
Old 01-01-2020, 01:28 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
The Atlanta track sent me this entry blank and the picture that is in this post has been verified to be the car that is shown as crashed at Atlanta. It was right after the car was built and was in Charlotte to announce the addition of the Western Steer Steakhouse to the sponsorship of the Jolly Rancher Candy folks. It is this car that I believe to the one that was repainted for the Stroker Ace movie, and is the one found in the mountains. Some one had repainted the number on it and tried to make a street car out of it.

Attachment 54627

Attachment 54628

That is very cool, Will. Historical pieces coming back together, with nice fits!

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:32 AM

Made another visit to Bills shop three days ago to gather the pictures that were taken when the car was discovered in the North Carolina mountains. Bill reiterated that he maintains an interest in restoring this car, particularly after I was able to provide the history for this car. I originally took it in trade for a new car build and put a new front clip of my design and then we raced it at least twice as an intermediate track car, and that is why it was chosen to take it to the '82 Atlanta race with Elliott Forbes Robinson to drive (Google this guy, he is an amazing US driver).
While the NASCAR history books by Greg Fielden did not show us to participate there, I knew that we did because the car blew a right front tire and hit the wall in turn #2. I contacted the Atlanta Motor Speedway and their statistician was able to confirm that we did make a qualifying attempt on the first day (not fast enough to get in on the first day). We cut a tire going into turn #1 on the second day of qualifying and ended up against the wall in turn #2, and the damage ended our ability to compete. It appears that we qualify fast enough to make the show, but unable to compete and the race results show that only 39 cars started the race, even though 44 cars posted qualifying speeds.
The car was repaired and leased to Universal Studios for the Burt Reynolds movie 'Stroker Ace', and subsequently sold, and this is that movie car. It is going to be restored as our Jolly Rancher car as it appeared in the Atlanta car.
At any rate here are some pictures of where the car was found, and when the restoration starts, Bill has said that I could be part of the restoration process and I am looking forward to it. The gentleman that owned the car was intent on modifying it to drive on the street by the looks of the stock nose piece and the tail light openings in the rear area.

20181226_100412.jpg

20181226_100853.jpg

20181226_104957.jpg

20181226_105318.jpg

20181226_131048.jpg

20181226_102107.jpg

20181220_105726.jpg

20181220_110418.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 01-12-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:48 AM

Here is the car as it appeared in the movie, and the same car in the same corner as the crash in Atlanta and this is how the car will be restored to.

Strol01.jpg

Scan0005.jpg
Old 01-12-2020, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Way cool Will!