All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-17-2013, 04:30 PM

If you have access to EAA or thier online archives there are several articles in September and April 1991 issues of Sport Aviation for a deep slot bender that may help.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Metal Shaper of the Month, November 2012

Thank you everyone for all your inputs and advice!

removed the chrome whatever its called...

the beadrolls you see are going to pose a problem. Since I will not be putting the chrome back on I will need to slick out this area to match the side panel. either a partial reskin or fill it. I will have to see where we stand on hours after I am finished with the tough part. harsh reality.

OH YEA! I am so excited!!!

removing all the interior... Fire hazard. Took all day and Wore me out! tons of little screws!

removing more fire starters!

what a long cut! took out a whole 4.5" wheel!!

once cut the panel went bulging on us! internal pressures much?

My fancy new radius brake. If anyone wants to sell any 10 ft sections of pipe of varying radius's I will gladly buy them off you at any meet! might come in handy. what we did was i folded a 90 to the inside of my bend along the bottom edge. Then zip screwed a 1" square tube to that. i clamped other 1" square tubes (worked as spacers) to that and then clamped the 2" pipe to that. lifted the heavy pallet and set it on my 2" pipe then the wife and I lifted the far edge up kicking another 2" pipe under the sheet. we lifted as high as we could then set down (pipe removed) We removed one of the 1" square tubing and clamped it all up again. set the pallet on and worked our way through the curve like that! IT REALLY WORE US OUT!

next with the sheet layed on some fender stands and the bend hanging unstressed off the side i took my profile and got to to fit as best as it could every 12" clamped a strait edge to connect the dots and planned for my bend. the cuts ended up not to be 90degrees to the edge of the sheet but they are pararell. guess this had something to do with only having 2 people to bend a 10 foot sheet.

from the bending over such a small radius tube we ended up with these crease lines. We lifted the panel into the wheel and tightened it only enough to allow our low radius anvil to push up on the sides of the crease while the upper wheel gently pushed down. This was like NO PRESSURE. and its a good thing because my wheel is really weak.

our first time 2 person wheeling. went well... like dancing. I lead she follows! even though this is not our dream imperial wheel It has been priceless to our education!

panel cleaned up some. still need to clean up the bottom. amazing how they put filler right up to the door jamb to fix a dent???

we did clamp/zipscrew in a brace to aid in keeping the upper part of the panel strait for a good clean install!

I cant wait to work on this again. Might have some updates for you peoples sunday! thanks again for your comments and tips!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 PM

Brent , Your helper sure has a beautiful smile. Them are some really long panels. Looks like your getting it handled though.
Gerry
Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 PM

It looks like you are going to get it handled quite nicely..

People will do things that nobody else will......
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM

We had lots of fun today!

we folded over the edge by clamping down 2 1x1's on the edge and hammering it over. then cleaned up the line with the nice sharp edge on a heel dolly. stamped in the step with my punch and flange tool. (buy the one with the 4mm hole. so much easier to work with!) then we zip screwd it in for test fitments.

more adjustments. even going back to the wheel for some more "dancing"

^also note the morning sun. It was a beautiful day for letting sparks fly!

the bottom is plug welded in from the inside. orriginaly there were 9 plug welds holding on this pannel. now there is one every inch and a half.
also i cut for the doors

I did by the way figure out the bow in the panel. I placed jack stands on the metal suport and shimmed them with wood blocks. then between the suport and the roof I used a 1x6 planed and several 2x4's with my port a power to push up on the roof. with hardly any pressure at all. the bulge came out. I left the get up in there under pressure until everything was buttoned up and released it. no adverse effects yet!

another picture of work mentioned above.

tacking. I slowly tacked along the panel removing zip screws as i went. the 1x 1 bar is still behind the panel but i shimmed it back with washers before i welded it in the the verticals at the ends of the panel. I will use some of my 3m foam adhesive once this is primed to offer some aditional suport of this area. (just like oem with the crash bars in doors)

as much tacking as I will do tonight. No more support on roof or under car now.

nice and strait. the wife is excited about blocking this panel because its so flat and long!

Thanks everyone. when I do the other side I will be sure to take more detailed photographs.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Looking good, can't wait to see it with paint and the trim back on.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 PM

me too. driving away from the shop completed will be good as well!! this car takes up so much room!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Brent, that turned out nice, and straight too!

I wonder how well the 16 ga would have done using a go-kart slick to form the radius?

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Brent, that turned out nice, and straight too!

I wonder how well the 16 ga would have done using a go-kart slick to form the radius?

Robert,

I dont know but i did end up using 18 gauge metal. I have never used a go kart slick before so i really do not know. I think the problem with that would be getting enough pressure on my wheel. and tracking. if there was any deviation off of the track you wanted it might make that whole long panel go crazy. again I am just assuming because I have no experience with go kart slicks. its just such a LONG panel!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 AM

I believe you made a good choice forming the bend over a pipe. The tire on the ewheel will sometimes give a slight bit of curve the long way. In the case of that long panel a little bit may have been way too much.

You are doing that job very well. A good balance of quality and getting the work completed in a reasonable amount of time.