All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-20-2014, 02:33 PM

wishing you a speedy rocovery.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:55 PM

Default Safety

Wishing you a speedy recovery and no long term affects.

This seems to be a good time to bring up the dangers of brake cleaner and phosgene gas. More info is contained in a post by Joe Hartson here: http://allmetalshaping.com/showthrea...light=phosgene

Edit - found the link in the above thread to not work. Here is a link to the original article. http://www.brewracingframes.com/safe...sgene-gas.html

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.

Last edited by Overkill; 12-20-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:09 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2016

Glad you are ok Wayne. That kind of thing can be scary as hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehammer1952 View Post
. . . they have a parts solvent that is like Brake Kleen what I found was I cleaned a piece of metal as i was full of cutting oil dirt etc and was getting ready to Mig weld it to the matting part the part was dry no signs of any residue when I started the arc from the mig the entire piece of metal exploded into flames. . .I also had the same results from their Brake Kleen (green can) not the red can
If you are planning on cleaning anything before welding, do yourself a favor and use Isopropanol or Acetone. The tetrachloroethylene in Brake Cleaner and other solvents can turn to HCL or Phosgene gas and can cause severe toxicity, long-term nervous system damage and even death when exposed to extreme heat in the presence of Argon.

While we're on the subject of safety, always sweep up the area around your grind operations when switching between Aluminum and steel. The combination, in the right settings, will make Thermite. If you don't know what Thermite is, all you need to know is that it is used in explosives.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:27 PM

Wayne, I hate that for you. You'll be in my prayers as I know how painful burns are.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:40 PM

Sorry to see your misfortune, lucky you are ok. A speedy recovery for you!
Thanks for the warning.
cheers
Bill
Old 12-31-2014, 09:19 AM

Wow! You are both lucky and unlucky if you know what I mean. Burns are my greatest fear and the most painful to recover from. I wish you well and a speedy recovery.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:13 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default This should probably be in “Metal shaping tricks”.

Wayne, I hope you are doing much better by now. I will just offer you ideas that might save you some grief in the future.

I always cut aluminum with a 4” carbide tipped wood blade (from McMaster-Carr) in a right angle pneumatic grinder. It cuts thru even aluminum plate like it’s butter and doesn’t load up like a grinding wheel. It’s surprisingly controllable as long as you rest your hand on the panel, the only problem is if you hit steel while cutting.

Also for years (about 45 now) I’ve had an Aloe Vera plant near my shop and nothing I’ve found works better for burns. You cut the edges off a leaf, split it in half and put the soft inside against the burn and the pain is reduced significantly & immediately. I highly recommend it for any body shop or business where burns can happen . ~ John Buchtenkirch
!1sw103.jpg

ALOE.jpg
Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
Wayne, I hope you are doing much better by now. I will just offer you ideas that might save you some grief in the future.

I always cut aluminum with a 4” carbide tipped wood blade (from McMaster-Carr) in a right angle pneumatic grinder. It cuts thru even aluminum plate like it’s butter and doesn’t load up like a grinding wheel. It’s surprisingly controllable as long as you rest your hand on the panel, the only problem is if you hit steel while cutting.

Also for years (about 45 now) I’ve had an Aloe Vera plant near my shop and nothing I’ve found works better for burns. You cut the edges off a leaf, split it in half and put the soft inside against the burn and the pain is reduced significantly & immediately. I highly recommend it for any body shop or business where burns can happen . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Attachment 30832

Attachment 30833
Thanks to everyone for the kind words I am all healed now with some nice new skin and ready to roll ,
Thanks fir the tip john my neighbour has a plant and it works well , we actually have the carbide disk at work but it's a 5 inch and wouldn't fit where I needed it to ..... I must admit it cuts like butter but scares me.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:28 AM

For others, that nice new skin will probably be thin and not as durable as what proceeded it - for awhile, that is!

In preparation for the eventuality (failure mode planning) when it happens to you, get a "program for healing" in your mind that prompts you to protect for a significant time after the event, so any sub-surface damage has a chance to recover also!

FWIW

mjb