All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-24-2010, 07:30 PM

Default Beater bag ?

I'm making a leather beater bag,and was wondering what you guys have yours filled with.I wasn't a fan of using sand,and was thinking of filling it with BB's (BB gun ammo) it's cheaper then lead shot.Just wondering if anyones tried it and what the out come was.
Thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 07:48 PM

Ryan, The only no no is using lead shot as the dust from the shot is toxic and cause health issues. Also BB's are too large, you need something small that will form to your part. Sand is the easiest and the cheapest and works well and lasts a long time. For a small hand held sand bag used as a dolly you can use #9 shot as the weight of the shot will make it work better and you will never work it hard like you do a beater bag so there isn't a chance of it deteriating to dust. Dutch
(315)866-3034
comstockmetalshaping.com
Old 05-25-2010, 12:59 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Ryan,

Sand has been used for generations, I think you will find it works OK. One of my bags has had the same sand in it for at least 17 years and it still works fine.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 05-25-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 AM

I tried a large sand filled bag at a metal shaping gathering and didn't like it too much. But then I made a small( 8" x 8") sand filled bag and like it. I use it to hammer out aluminum and steel. The first one I tried was very tight. The one I made is filled a bit looser and I like the way it feels. Sand is cheap, try it and if you don't like it, you can dump it and try something else.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:02 AM

I have two; the small bag filled with small steel bird-shot, and the larger filled with sand.
They both have different merits, and both work well for shaping.
The small bag filled with steel shot can also serve as a useful 'third hand' for holding down a panel while you work the other end.
The large (heavy, awkward) bag full of sand doesn't get moved around as much.

I've toyed with the idea of using plastic blast beads or low density urethane inside a bag in the future, but since these two work fine, there has been little motivation to experiment.

An extra hide to cover the bag as a sacrificial layer is not a bad idea. the surface of the leather will wear with use.

Last edited by B.Davies; 05-25-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I have a bag filled with injection molding beads. It works fine but is way too light. I end up chasing the bag around. Sand works fine, lasts a long time and is cheap. Just make sure there are no rocks in it and it's dry when you put it in.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 AM

Funny seeing this thread after the dream I had last night. Yes. I dream about metal working and now, because of you guys, I dream about shaping flat panels. No, they are not nightmares

I realized I need to make a beater bag- So my question: How do you sow it up? Do you use a zipper where you fill it? Or just sow it shut? I have a bunch of swade or split leather, is that strong enough? Sounds like a loose fill is best? What is a good size? I figure the size piece I would be forming wouldn't be much bigger 2 foot square.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:18 PM

Default Making a bag

Commercial ones are normally double sewn and use a small velcro opening (1"). As for the leather you have, all depends on the thickness and toughness I would think. If it's from a jacket, I don't think it will work. But you also want to keep an extra piece of supple scrap leather over the top of the bag - that way if there are any nicks or cuts that occur, it happens to the scrap.

Size wise, mine is about 14 to 16" in diameter.

Fill seems to be subjective and something you need to experiment with.

John
Old 05-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I've got a half dozen or so bags, various sizes from 3" to 20". The smaller ones are used as dollys and are filled with lead. Larger ones with sand except for one with plastic beads. ALL have leather that is about 1/16" inch thick...maybe a bit less but not much.

Seude is fine but John is right, you'll want a sacrifical piece of leather to put on top of the bag to protect it from cuts.

Double stitch with Kevlar thread if you can find it. Most folks I know who sew their own just leave a gap and sew it closed after they fill it. If you need to add more or change it, just slit a few stiches, and resew after you've re-filled.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 PM

I think I just found a good project for the wife She's always finding them for me

Thanks Guys