All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-16-2017, 10:37 AM

Give up my leads to a yoder Never! but there are 5 distinct areas/cities of the uk where i would expect to find one
Old 01-16-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rivet View Post
Give up my leads to a yoder Never! but there are 5 distinct areas/cities of the uk where i would expect to find one
So, do you actually know where there is one?

There was a big auction last year, maybe the year before, at a very large aerospace company and there were about 10 wheeling machines and 5 or 6 Kraftformers but no sign of a Yoder. I reckon it will be an extreme rarity in this country.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:56 PM

Gareth, got your note. sorry that Rob was not able to help you.

If you are thinking about doing a full size hammer from scratch then balancing against the British Pound verses the US Dollar these guys will be a good value. Even with the current low BSP it is still pretty good against the USD. These hammers will be better than the originals with the few original weaknesses being addressed in the current production.
I personally know the principals and it is hard to beat a product being recreated by a top notch hammerman and top notch machinist.

http://www.pettingellmachineco.com/
Old 01-16-2017, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the help Rick, and yes, I'd seen the Pettingell website. Any idea on when they'll have some machines built and featured on there? It would be interesting to know a price for one.

As I said in a previous post though, the most attractive thing about a self build is that you can spread the cost out even if the total comes to more than a bought machine.

I'll keep an eye out on that site as I'm not exactly in any kind of rush.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:38 AM

The complete Pettingell arms will be $19500 and you make you're own pedestal . If you contact them they will keep you up to date with manufacturing. My hammer has the metalcraft kit, it is all very well made, everyone would like an original machine, however there is an abundance of people making them now and with modern cad design and laser cutting etc, its never been a better time to build or buy. I've never seen a Yoder in the uk, I went to the large aerospace a few years ago and there wasn't anything there of American origin (from what I remember) the power hammer that I built gets very little use, mainly used for shrinking. I did end up modifying it a few years back to improve its stability.
If you want to call in and take a look you are more than welcome
Fintan

http://www.fhellis.com/
Old 01-17-2017, 04:27 AM

Cheers Fintan, I might just take you up on the offer if I'm ever down your way.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:56 AM

Well, no new leads but plenty of research going on and we are getting on with some designs at the moment. The biggest problem seems to be getting actual dimensions as the original machines are so old, there appears to be little trace of any drawings available, other than the non-dimensioned layout on the Clay Cook website.

It's actually quite good fun doing all the google searches and doing the research on this. I'm quite looking forward to getting to the stage where we can make a decision on how to proceed with it.