All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-01-2014, 03:11 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2015

Cool Pics for sure,

I think bunch of us would be nervous around him,

Steve Davis, i now from a Timothy Remus book, and have seen him in on Jesse´s video..

Was he on some Ron Covell videos too ?

--------- JJ ----------

Last edited by Janne; 03-01-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 PM

Glad to see this thread on the old masters, such as Red Twiet.

I did make a DVD that featured Steve Davis, but it is no longer available. I may get it up on my YouTube channel eventually. There is a short video of Lil' John Buttera, but of course he's more of a machinist than a metalshaper.

youtube.com/watch?v=ea7RTJ3SvHk

At last report, Steve Davis was apparently working for Chip Foose. A friend went on the noon tour at Foose's, and Steve Davis was the guy who led the tour.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:57 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essexmetal View Post
Attachment 26595

Attachment 26596I just wanted to share a couple of my favorite pictures of Red.

After a hard day of shop tours back at Red's shop having a beer. Next to Red on the list of super hammer men is Steve Davis, on right.

The picture of Red with Jesse James. Whatever you think of Jesse you have to give him credit for respecting the master craftsman from the great days of coachwork. He was actually nervous around Red.
Cool, and good to see this. Red and I used to talk about every month or so. Now I hear from his longtime assistant, "long reach," every so often. Davis helped Li'l John metal out his 6 Speedsters, only one of which still survives. Amazing build, amazing builder, Buttera. Sorry to lose him, too.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:45 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2015

Thanks Ron for the answer,

Kent, i have to check , what is that speedster ..

--------- JJ ----------
Old 03-02-2014, 06:12 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essexmetal View Post
Attachment 26595

Attachment 26596I just wanted to share a couple of my favorite pictures of Red.

After a hard day of shop tours back at Red's shop having a beer. Next to Red on the list of super hammer men is Steve Davis, on right.

The picture of Red with Jesse James. Whatever you think of Jesse you have to give him credit for respecting the master craftsman from the great days of coachwork. He was actually nervous around Red.
Hey Rick, Its pretty funny to see Jerry in both of those pictures. Did Mike Kleeves record an interviewed with Red recently? Im glad to hear Steve is around. I may get to meet him this year.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:09 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi guys

I 'm just wondering, is Red still alive and well?

If so could someone who knows him, contact him to gather information, that could be passed on to the future generations.

Steve
Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 AM

Tony, yes Crazy Jerry was with us on that trip. Was selling a double Yoder to one of the guys which in the end he could not sell because he did not own it. I have not talked with Mike for several months and do not know about any interview planned but there is no one that knows Red any better than Mike. I would even go so far as say that Mike could be considered Red's protege. Not to much of a stretch when you see the quality of work Mike's put out. That would be a great conversation to capture. Steve Davis is a master in all forms of fabrication and you should consider it an honor if you get a chance to meet him. Tony, after seeing your hammerwork you are hot on their heels.

Have attached a couple more pictures. Mike Kleeves and Red checking out the panels of the Shelby Daytona Coupe at California Metal Shaping. Red's Yodergill, and the work product that comes off of it. For those who worry about having everything just right, the upper die dovetail on the Pettingell was so loose that you could practically pull it out of the upper arm. Hard to tell that in the finish on the cowl.

red&mike.jpg

red'shammer.jpg

red's hammer work.jpg

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 03-02-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM

Red's shop. This was his last year there before he retired. There was not a lot of room after the double hammer took up the center. He used the Pettingel side of the hammer the most, preferring it over the Yoder.

The powerhammer brain trust. Red, Jerry Weeks, Mike Kleeves and Ralph Brawley who purchased Red's hammer when he was done with it. Red is leaning against his Magee wire edging machine. Small #7 if I remember.

Red at the Petersen checking out the Kuzma display.

A shot of Steve Davis's Yodergill. Two of the best hammermen with Hybrid hammers, wonder if there is a message there ?

reds shop.jpg

red jerry mike.jpg

red&kuzma.jpg

steve'syodergill.jpg

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 03-02-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:07 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Rick, do you still have the photos of Red & Steve D discussing whether the shrinking dies in Jessie James gussied up Yoder could even work or not ? I’d like to see them again, others probably would too. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 03-26-2014, 06:23 PM

CMS #1 - 1.jpg

CMS #2 - 1.jpgAny other photos of Red would be great. I found two photos from CMS in a copy of Petersen's ( 1976 ) Auto Restoration Tip's & Techniques. Wondering who the guy in the photos is. There is no text in the book other than a caption that identifies California Metal Shaping.

Donny A.

Last edited by route56wingnut; 03-26-2014 at 06:35 PM.