All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-25-2018, 08:31 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Joel
Great work on the project!

Chassis will be state of the art, just like all of the super cars built today.

The body mods look good. Iagree they are so subtle that most people will never notice them.

Super project, keep the posts coming

Steve
Old 06-27-2018, 08:54 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Miura chassis construction continues

More chassis progress pictures.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:25 PM

The first picture shows a typical dogbone detail. On long panels they are every 16-20 inches. It only takes about seven hours to glue up a chassis but it must be done over several days because one section must be secure and square before the next section is built onto it. The second pic shows the first day, the two main floorboards, the two tunnel sides, the front main bulkhead with it's horizontal stiffener, and the rear main bulkhead with it's horizontal stiffener. Once this "Office" is done and square, the front and rear clips attach and continue outward.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 AM

76mx
" In preparing a chassis for the Chupacabra, it has come to our attention that one Federal Requirement is that the chassis welds must be inspected. If 27 years in Nascar has taught me anything, it is to not give them an opportunity to have a problem, so we will put a few welds on it for them to inspect."

I joined this forum to learn about metal shaping, but this may be one of my favorite lessons.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Joel, sorry for being dense. I understand the bonding where you are bonding a flange to a flat surface like the last photo. However, in the first photo, you show a dogbone male/female and it appears that the small panel fits vertically on top of the larger with the male tab going into the female dogbone. In that case, is the adhesive applied in a 'fillet' like you were welding it? Or am I missing a flange that goes flat against the panel?

I find this whole concept of gluing cars together to be quite fascinating.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:52 PM

This should be a fascinating build! It already is!

I think the enlarging of the vehicle is a nice move... are you only building one? Maybe there is a market for more than one as you get it complete....

I would like to mention that we use the Lord 406 two part adhesive for some aluminum sign cabinet construction. We also use 3/16" structural rivets to align and help with strength. For those that are wondering, I have done some structural testing with the riveted and glued joints. It is amazing at the load a properly assembled joint can carry. Doing structural testing on a large gantry load cell, I had some of the extrusion fail before the extrusion to sheet aluminum joints fail. The extrusion ranges in thickness of 0.160" to 0.200" and the sheet aluminum is 0.090". The display cabinets range in size from 21' long to 48' long.

I look forward to seeing more progress!

Currently working on a new garage for the tools...
Also a member on garagejournal.com
Old 06-28-2018, 07:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Body design continues

I went to the body shop that’s painting my Ferrari GTO yesterday (yes, there’s been progress on GTO, 2nd round of block sanding is now done) and showed Frank Zucchi the shop owner the Miura body design pictures. He told me about the last Miura SV he painted and they had modified the rear fenders to take wider tires. They had moved the wheel openings outward but had left the width at rear corners unchanged. The rear fenders were done with a rounded taper from the wider openings back to the rear corners. He said it really looked good once they had worked the body into the right taper over and behind the rear wheel openings.

In looking at my digital redesign for the Miura rear, it looked as though the widening would also move the rear corners outward. I didn’t specifically mean to do that but determined the photo I started with was making it look that way. I think it’s because to photographer was so close to the car when they took the picture that only the very back of the car is visible in picture.

As a reminder, here's my first attempt.

So I took a second run at what I want the rear of the Miura to look like. You can now clearly see the added taper between the wheel openings and rear corners.

I found using 2 different pictures enabled me to show the body shape difference the best. I found photos that appeared to be taken from a similar distance and angle. The yellow car is a “standard” Miura SV (or as “standard” as any 60s/70s era coach built Italian car can be) and the red car is a one off Miura SVR model.

The Lambo factory built this SVR car as a tribute to the Miura Jota racing prototype that had been destroyed during testing. The SVR is a lot wider than the SV in the rear fenders. I had to do a bunch of Photoshop work to narrow the SVR down some and add back a bunch of details from the SV. But having done that, I think this photo now shows the look I’m after. That is, minus the extra screened over body openings (black in color) on the fender bottoms.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:50 PM

Skip, Thank you.
Kerry, you are correct, let me elaborate. As with most anything designed, the engineering considers failure and catastrophic failure. It considers bulletproof and also considers just how bulletproof ya gotta have it. It considers the Wheel Of Three, lightweight (fast), strong, and economical, of which the Laws of Physics allow the designer to only pick two. All of the critical joints are sheer and fillet, but I did not go to this extreme on all of the joints. If a rocker panel support becomes detached it is one thing, it is entirely another if a framerail goes missing. Having said that, we have already established the strength of the structural adhesive, so I choose to keep the non catastrophic joints only bulletproof, and choose lightweight and economical for them on my Wheel Of Three. There is also a second good reason for those "Outrigger" non essential joints to be left that way. The basic structure of the chassis is sound, the suspension pick up points all have substantial structure, but I have outrigged to the body as my best educated guess where body panels will ultimately go and connect. Even if we wanted to build those joints past bulletproof to just how bulletproof ya gotta have it, and do it right now, we do not know their final design or location without the body, and there is no use spending any time to engineer or build those joints until Joels body catches up.

Last edited by 76mx; 06-30-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:31 PM

The chassis design is outstanding and will have serious strength and torsional rigidity. Being that this vehicle is not a race car but will be out on the open highway, are there any accommodations made for crash zones. Outriggers that are designed to fail or honeycomb crush zones between front and rear body to chassis?
Old 06-30-2018, 05:52 PM

Rick, There are crush zones but I have stopped short of honeycomb, again back to the Wheel Of Three and the big loser here is economics. Rarely do I sell a chassis for a build that is properly financed (if there is such a thing) and I have never sold one to a project that is extravagantly financed. The chassis has a main rollbar hoop integrated into the basic design and the front snout is designed like many racecars. It has a removable snout that is crushed, unbolted, and thrown away in a frontal impact, theoretically saving more serious structural damage. You are also right about this not being a racecar. This suspension has been computer analyzed to be World Class, and every effort has been made to ensure that all of the chassis components are correctly done, but where do you stop? I could build it with a Carbon Kevlar Tub but then not only does it go back to the Wheel Of Three, it also goes back to bulletproof or how bulletproof ya gotta have it.