All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-31-2019, 03:50 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Funny thing was as I was looking at the foam piece I straight away thought, that looks like early Corvette!
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:31 AM

Looking Great, compared to the Red Stocker in Pic, you don't realise the amount of change and the work you have done in such a short period.
All I can say is WOW, very nice.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:08 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Dane

you are knocking this project out of the park!!!!!!!

we appreciate the time you are spending to share it with us!

your approach and explanation is educational to many.

Steve
Old 03-31-2019, 11:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

Thanks for the compliments guys! There are days (weeks) it seems like I do nothing but tread water, but that's how it goes with these large projects. It's not every day that major progress is going to be accomplished and some days you may even go backwards!

This update will focus on fabricating the "pocket" that the bumper will nest into.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  69.0 KB

I fabricated up a pocket that the bumper will fit nicely into leaving a fairly tight gap around the bumper edge. The vision is to have the bumper just "floating" inside the body.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  70.5 KB

Here is with the bumper test fit into the pocket. You can see how the reveal is maintained around the perimeter of the bumper.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  72.2 KB

An initial trim and test fit into the rear corner of the car.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  71.8 KB

Test with the bumper in place just for a better visual

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  76.7 KB

Here I've trimmed off the bottom of the rear body panel in preparation for attaching the pocket I've fabricated to go across the width of the back.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  76.2 KB

Same work, just on the driver's corner. Also you can see the rear full width pocket is fit into place here.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  73.8 KB

As I was near this rear corner, I took a little time to cut out and repair the rust area. I also welded the vertical seam up to the tail light.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  77.3 KB

Here the driver's pocket is welded around the perimeter and the rust repair / seam is cleaned up.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  76.2 KB

Also some more bumpers showed up for me to cut up and modify!

Dane
Old 03-31-2019, 08:13 PM

I like that bumper detail , but I live on a gravel road . Are you going to make it easy to remove / pull bumper out so that it can be cleaned and polished . A couple of small reese hitch sockets or linear actuators to make clean up more fun. Sorry for bein' a PITA , I do like the bumper detail.
Don
Old 04-01-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Papenburg View Post
I like that bumper detail , but I live on a gravel road . Are you going to make it easy to remove / pull bumper out so that it can be cleaned and polished . A couple of small reese hitch sockets or linear actuators to make clean up more fun. Sorry for bein' a PITA , I do like the bumper detail.
Don
No that isn't in the plans. To be honest, I'll be relieved if I can install / slip it into the pocket the final time once painted without scratching or damaging anything! In reality the car won't be driven a ton or certainly not in normal day to day driving situations. Thanks for the positive feedback and following along!

Once each bumper half and it's corresponding "pocket" were roughed in, it was time to figure out the area left below the bumper. A foam roll pan was carved and shaped until we were happy with the appearance of it. The customers one request was that it had a center exhaust exit (remember I already did the exhaust pipes back and around the frame rails in prep for this earlier) The oval exhaust (will actually be two "D" shaped tips back to back to fill in the oval) are a play off of the oval tail lights.

Views: 910
Size:  78.7 KB

The foam mock up roll pan was shaped up until we were happy with the look. This roll pan blends into and around the center oval exhaust exit.

Views: 927
Size:  77.1 KB

A view of the mock up roll pan and exhaust exit from the rear.

Views: 939
Size:  75.4 KB

View from the side.

Views: 926
Size:  75.3 KB

A quick simple paper pattern was taken off the foam mock up and transferred onto flat sheet. Some basic reference lines were drawn on for my roll / radius and some pie areas form major shrinking.

To be honest, to save time and work I did a rough cut out of these three wedges, rough hammered into the curve and radius, tig welded the seams back up, worked my welds flush and did the final tweaking and shrinking on my deep throat.

Views: 931
Size:  76.9 KB

The passenger corner panel taking pretty good shape. It's still roughing out and needs final smoothing but it's a good fit. Tough to see in the pic but the bottom on the quarter panel portion is actually a crisp peak that gradually blends off into the larger radius on the rear of the roll pan.

Views: 909
Size:  75.0 KB

A side view of the panel shows the shape and flow of it.

Views: 949
Size:  76.4 KB

A test fit on the car with the bumper set in place.

Views: 962
Size:  75.9 KB

Side view looks good. Blends into the quarter panel / wheel opening good as well as a nice flow up to the bumper.

Views: 937
Size:  75.2 KB

A view from the rear. A bit more simple from this end.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  79.2 KB

The same work was duplicated and roughed out on the driver's corner.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  77.0 KB

Happy with the shape here as well.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  78.0 KB

A view from the rear with both sides taking shape. Next up.....the center exhaust area.

Dane

Last edited by pplace; 04-01-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:07 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Very nicely thought out and executed.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:30 PM

Elegance in your simplicity!
Old 04-05-2019, 08:33 PM

This will be a pretty short update. Just a few pictures of the center exhaust area on the roll pan and a few more of the bumper process.

Views: 725

The first thing I did was shape up a simple section of roll pan to span straight across the exhaust opening (not worrying about the oval) After that was shaped to math the body and the existing side portions of the roll pans already fabricated I rough cut out the center oval.

I bent up an oval opening around a template with a 90 deg. flange. I temporarily tapped this into the hole I cut in the center roll pan.

Views: 721
Size:  74.6 KB

Once the center oval opening was roughly in place, I was able to start shaping up the lower half (technically 1/4 since it's only one side of the oval I guess) Here it's roughly taking shape......

Views: 726
Size:  82.7 KB

This is after a bit more refinement and it's also been trimmed and tacked to the center oval opening and the previous simple section of center roll pan I used as a basis to build from.

This view also sort of shows that the oval isn't just flat from the side. It has a radius to it up and down. Not as drastic as the bottom of the roll pan, but enough to just give it some contour.

Views: 756
Size:  77.6 KB

With all the pieces roughed out close enough, it was time to weld them all into one. This would make fine tuning everything easier....it was just a handful with so many panels not welded together previously.

Views: 739
Size:  78.0 KB

After cleaning up the welds and doing some more metal work. It's not perfect yet....but it's certainly close enough to get ready to fit and weld to the corner sections of the roll pan. From there I can do any minor tweaking and adjusting to get it a bit better.

Views: 723
Size:  76.4 KB

With the center exhaust opening in place it basically completed the overall look of that area. The only exception was the missing center portion of the bumper. I bent up some heavier pieces to match the Corvette bumpers and trimmed and tacked it to each bumper half. We now have one bumper!

Views: 745
Size:  76.5 KB

A view looking down and the bumper. I just made the center section straight and then made some relief cuts to get the gentle radius of the body as needed later.

Views: 744
Size:  78.5 KB

A 3/4 view of the bumper and roll pan area.

Views: 739

And a side view to finish up with.

Dane
Old 04-06-2019, 02:42 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Dane
Congratulations on a job well thought out and well done !
Peter

PS I have looked at the whole post of your build and man!!!!.....The must be some hours put in to that beautiful work ..a credit to you BRAVO!!!!!!

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 04-06-2019 at 02:48 AM.