All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-23-2021, 04:26 AM

Default Door pocket repair

Good morning all,

This is my first post on the forum, hopefully this is the best place for the thread! I am very new to sheet metal work at this level and am more of an enthusiastic amateur.

I am trying to repair a pair of doors, but the pockets are in a bad way. Repair panels are not available, neither are replacements so looking at options really so am looking for advice. My main concern is the complex curvature of the panel.

All 4 corners are in need of repair so I likely will replace the whole units. I do not need perfection as it will not be entering any events, I just want to avoid rust issues later! I planned to re-use the top bracing section, and then make the main body, and later weld on two end pieces but would appreciate any tips/advice before getting started.

Thank you
Old 09-23-2021, 11:19 PM

Hi Louis,

Welcome... I too am a amateur working with, of all things Morris Minors.. The flange and the inner support from the pictures look to be in good shape so a complete remake seems like a lot to take on. What about cutting the round corner off at the flange and replacing just the rusted out corner?

I would start by making a tape pattern since as you say it has multi angles, then you should be able to transfer it to sheet metal and go from there.

I would start out with a scrap piece and try to work the metal in one piece to see if it is possible. Then go for the real thing when you have the results you are trying for.

I have a stump with a dish shape cut in it and a sand bag that I would do the forming with. round ended hammer like the teardrop or the DIY baseball bat mallet. Maybe a Cricket mallet. I think you will be doing some real stretching to get the shape so it might take a few good tries for success.

OK that is from a real newbie. So, wait for the real PRO's to weigh in and you will be on your way in no time.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris
Old 09-24-2021, 05:56 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Remember when you are making a compound piece, stretch the centre of the curved area but leave the edges which act as a 'frame'. If you just hit all over the piece, it just becomes thinner.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.