All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Heads Up Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-12-2019, 06:16 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post
John: Please don't leave. I know first hand how tough it is to sell product to talented folks that have the skills to make their own tools. There are a lot of factors involved. I used to ship my TuckPuck product all over the planet for $11 US. Then our postal service more than tripled the rate to the $36 range. That made it too cost prohibitive for folks outside of the US to purchase my product. I did ship quite a few to Australia and New Zealand before the price hike.
Regarding the "resources" section of this forum, That was put together years ago. My business is not listed there either and that is because I never really asked to be listed there. I just never got around to it. My fault , not theirs. I am confident that if I had submitted a request, it would be listed there. The owners/moderators of this forum have a lot on their plate and they rely on input probably more than memory.
So please reconsider your decision and stick around. Carey

i think there may be things going on in the background that we are unaware of...
Old 07-13-2019, 08:03 AM

Thats a shock, their products were top notch and I assumed when you reach that level of quality that success is guaranteed, that they go hand in hand.
They'll be missed for all the right reasons, I wish them well.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:33 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojh View Post
Thats a shock, their products were top notch and I assumed when you reach that level of quality that success is guaranteed, that they go hand in hand.
They'll be missed for all the right reasons, I wish them well.
The vast majority of products are built down to a cost, not up to a standard. It's impossible to compete with products reaching the market at 1/10 to 1/4 of your products & operating costs. depending upon exceptionally loyal and often impractically generous customers, who are ever more difficult to cultivate in the impatient internet-connected world, is a treacherous existance. Ask me how I know....

Every choice and purchase- no matter the amount or justification- matters. We have what we create, including forum communities and product resources.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:35 AM

The vast majority of products are built down to a cost, not up to a standard. It's impossible to compete with products reaching the market at 1/10 to 1/4 of your products & operating costs. depending upon exceptionally loyal and often impractically generous customers, who are ever more difficult to cultivate in the impatient internet-connected world, is a treacherous existance. Ask me how I know....

Every choice and purchase- no matter the amount or justification- matters. We have what we create, including forum communities and product resources.
Clint: Those are words of wisdom. And encouragement to stay the course. Thank you. I am going to print that and post it where I see it often. We are part of a shrinking community that still take pride in our work and for the most part the money is a reward, not the goal. A strange breed in todays' world.
I strive to do all things as unto the Lord. Even my own stuff. I know and God knows. No shortcuts or Mickey Mouse stuff. JB Weld is not a staple around my shop. I never shipped a product that wasn't up to standard. Poor surface finish put a TuckPuck back through the lathe for a recut or into a bin for my own use or abuse. Thanks for posting that. Carey

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 07-13-2019, 02:09 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post

Clint: Those are words of wisdom. And encouragement to stay the course. Thank you. I am going to print that and post it where I see it often. We are part of a shrinking community that still take pride in our work and for the most part the money is a reward, not the goal. A strange breed in todays' world.
I strive to do all things as unto the Lord. Even my own stuff. I know and God knows. No shortcuts or Mickey Mouse stuff. JB Weld is not a staple around my shop. I never shipped a product that wasn't up to standard. Poor surface finish put a TuckPuck back through the lathe for a recut or into a bin for my own use or abuse. Thanks for posting that. Carey
You're too kind, Carey. Thank you. This "lost art" of metal working may not be mainstream but it is being done on every street corner in comparison to what I do. Maybe that helps me see things in a different way. It takes a long time to really comprehend that the more you learn, the less you know. A piece of stone outsmarts me and gets the last word every single time & it isn't always kind.

The new world means exposing what you know and do for free- whether on purpose or secondhand- and hoping that somehow the bills still get paid. That's why theres so many classes & demonstrations. It's easy to sell ideas and romance. selling only completed work is really tough. It used to be that when you got old and lame after a career of working, then you started teaching and sharing secrets in a limited venue. Now many skip the tough part in the middle and shot for the viral bullseye on the web.

The worst part is what those teachers and their students (just like the cheap imported vs domestic products arguments) fail to see being creating until the future becomes the present. When it becomes the present, it's easier to see.

When chasing my stone apprenticeship, multiple Masters would not even speak to me. Not a metaphor- actual kicked out of their studios, treat me like a leper to my face, etc. Later, after nearly a decade, two of them changed only became clear that one was my second cousin and the other was an inlaw. The same level of expertise in metal, plus lots more, is now shared all over the web for free. Huge difference.

There aren't easy solutions, just like my opinion isn't clearly right or wrong. it's simply mine. i can't even claim them as completely mine, either. Before he died in 92, the artist Von Dutch had voiced similar concerns over the "hobbyization" of many specialty trades and the type of result it would produce. We're living in that world now. That perspective clicked with me long ago, probably inspiring & guiding me more than any other artist's or theory. Then, after a lifetime of adhering to principle over payoff, he got totally screwed in death by objectification and commercialization when his family cashed in. Not cool. The lesson continues...

Rant over.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:16 PM

Well that sucks, I just bought my Wheeling kit from them at the first of the year. They made a very nice product.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:35 PM

Just received my new dies from Joe and Peggy I put this off for years but they showed up today and look awesome thanks again to Joe and Peggy I hope future holds good things for you thanks Bryan
Old 08-12-2019, 05:44 PM

Just received my new dies from Joe and Peggy I put this off for years but they showed up today and look awesome thanks again to Joe and Peggy I hope future holds good things for you thanks Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190812_182423526.jpg (80.1 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Metal man bryan; 08-12-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Who else would personalize your hammer at no cost without you even asking?

No one........

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3559 (Medium).jpg (70.8 KB, 303 views)

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 08-25-2019, 08:29 AM

I built my own wheel frame and found a "great deall" on anvils on ebay. Of course the were crap and didn't work. The top. wheel was a cast iron castor with a about 1/16" of play. I bit the bullet and got a hardened ground upper from Joe and a set of lowers. They worked so beautifully and left such an awesome finish that I never thought of the price again. The problem is that i will never need another set. This will last for generations if well maintained.

I have no idea where one would go once he closes.