Quote:
Originally Posted by heinke View Post

Thanks for looking out for me though
Well good. Glad to be wrong.

steverandsart.com
@steverandsart
Old 10-25-2023, 11:11 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

The covered version shows the extra depth on the left side, cantering it toward the driver, than want showed up raw. Makes more sense now.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 10-29-2023, 02:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Dash Console for Gauge Panel

On the Miura, the center dash console housing the small gauges flows downward to seamlessly connect with the center console. As such, I need to make sure I keep this in mind and design in a way to interconnect the two while fabricating the dash console. My idea is to used rounded edges on the dash console that can be matched up with aluminum tubing to carry the rounded edge shape through a decently tight curve to the center console (see pictures in Post #: 491 for shape I’m trying to replicate).

To get the rounded edges on the dash console sides and top, I hammer formed .050 3003 Al over a ½” round tube using a rubber hammer. Once the sheet formed 180 degrees over the tube, I then clamped the works under a metal bar and bent a flange out 90 degrees to serve as dash panel mount.

Using cardboard to make a template, I was able to determine a good panel outline and mounting flanges for the side panels.

The top panel has curved edges on the sides to then mate up with side panels. A 1 ½” round tube was used to hammer form these edges.

All is good so far, but now for the hard part. There are 3 radiused edges now converging at each top corner that need to blend together. Given this is all happening in a very small area, this makes for a real metal shaping challenge. I could make a couple of wooden hammer forms and whack some aluminum into the desired shape but that feels more time consuming than I’d like. I decided that making these pieces without a hammer form was easier tackled in multiple pieces but welding on too small pieces usually turns into melted aluminum on the floor. So I did it in 2 pieces and still ended up melting a couple of them into waste while attempting tack welds. Here’s one of the pieces successfully welded to the top.

The second piece was formed and welded to side panel and then carefully hammered and trimmed to blend with the other while the side and top panels were clekoed together. Once a good fit and shape was achieved, the corners were welded up and then welds filed for final shape.

I decided to use counter sunk rivets to join the top and side panels to avoid panel warpage that is hard to avoid when welding flat thin aluminum surfaces together. Rivnuts were added to the mounting flanges to complete the console.

I plan to finish the gauge panel in wrinkle powder coat and the dash console will get upholstered in leather but those finishes will wait till much later in the project.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1170576.JPG (173.0 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg P1170572.JPG (169.5 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg P1170574.JPG (169.0 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg P1170577.JPG (178.0 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg P1170580.JPG (177.5 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg P1170585.JPG (166.0 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg P1170584.JPG (163.0 KB, 356 views)
Old 10-29-2023, 03:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Looking good.
I am also a hater of tiny pieces. They drive me crazy.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154