All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Comments and Suggestions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-24-2014, 11:09 AM

Ahhh, confusion, choas and discontent. My work here is done!
HarHarHar!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Comstock View Post
I do not always present it well.

When someone shows their "something" and asks for an opinion, and i cannot in all honesty give mine because I dont have much positive to say about it, I do not say anything and this person thinks they have the greatest product because they did not get any negative feedback in any manner, presented well or not.

I think this forum is too nice sometimes. jus sayin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxakarudy View Post
Three is no such thing as "too nice", what too nice means, is that you have to think about your reply constructively, not just through off the cuff remarks, that can be over negative for effect or humour.
It's a self filtering monitroring situation, so if you can't express your comments arcticulately, then it's best not to comment.
Yes, some people are sensitive about their work and if like me, you think twice about posting stuff that might be rediculed without constructive critique,then people ain't gonna post stuff.
All of the above comments apply to me aswell
You both said the same thing from different perspectives.

David

All things are possible.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM

There often seems to be a "group Dynamics" effect going on. If someone responds by posting "That is so nice"; then a whole string of complimentary post begin. At that point if one speaks up with constructive criticism or "negative" comment you seemed to be perceived as some sort of oddball or incorrigible. At least that's how I feel in those situations. In most cases I tend to speak up, often I will write some text in a word editor and then delay posting until I look at it a few times. Another possibility is to send a PM to the poster in lieu of a public comment.

On the other side of the group dynamics deal; if, early in the thread, someone offers someone offers a less than complimentary comment, there is little or no response. That's not fair to the thread originator.

Adding a like button or the thread rating I think would probably just generate a lot of button pushing activity and dilute the discussion. The reader on the forum likely will not be aware of either likes or rating.

I think it works fairly well as is. On a few occasions when I've stepped a little to far out of line someone will send a PM or call suggesting I reign in the comments. I actually appreciate that members are watching out for one another.

Last edited by Richard K; 06-24-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:31 PM

personally i dont find the "Rating" button any usefull.. i dont look at the ratings as much as what the subject is about. so to me , its how the user fills out the Subject , rather im gonna have interest in reading it or not.. Like if someone is posting about some sheetmetal work they did. They fill in the subject as "something i did" , i prob not gonna check it out or check it out last at least .. but if they post "48 Ford Fender i built" , that will draw my interest , and i will check the thread out...

now theres another option to the rating thing... is doing the "Thank You" button for someone's post ... like picture ...

this may been what the first poster was asking about....
Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

That would be a neat feature Mat but our version of Vbb doesn't have that and we have no plans to upgrade to a newer version until we absolutely are forced to. Upgrading will cost the owners money for the new software and money for a webmaster type guy to do the upgrade. Since the 5 of us foot all the bills out of our pockets, we're not motivated to upgrade the software for a new look or whatever. I know the HAMB just went through a massive upgrade and has a completely new look. Personally, I don't care for the 'improvement' but I'm sure the members will get used to it.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:01 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Kerry I don't think the HAMB was improved to be honest either and most of the older photos in the threads don't show up any more. Not something that you want on a board like the hamb or this one. Change for the sake of change is not often a good thing I feel.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 06-24-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
You both said the same thing from different perspectives.

David
What Marty was saying is that any comment that isn't positive, is therefore negative and feels he shouldn't offer comment, as it might be seem as critism.
Critique is to offer unbiased, objective comments, so shouldn't cause offence, it's a thin line at times, but if its done with consideration, you shouldn't feel unable to comment about someone's work, the devil is in the detail.
Btw I much prefer probing questions about the detail of postings, doesn't every photo make you think.

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!

Last edited by Maxakarudy; 06-24-2014 at 04:31 PM.