All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-06-2017, 10:05 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default Aluminum Body Repairs - Aston Martin / Lagonda

The hood of this Aston attaches to the hood hinges via hidden nut plates w/ trapped square nuts. After time and weather seize the threads enough that the square nuts rotate within their cages, it's time to fetch out the nut plates and tighten things up.

P1040627 c.jpg
I see "flush" rivets showing but am mistrustful of the heads, so I scan the rest of the hood for further inklings:
P1040629 c.jpg
I see plain old pop rivets.
P1040623 c.jpg
And I see round head bucked rivets....
P1040636 c.jpg
Hmmm, I think I am seeing mashed over heads or bucktails, instead of true flush rivets. So we drill, tentatively, looking for "on center."
P1040633 c.jpg
No luck keeping on center because there is no true "center" with mashed over rivets. Drilling step by step until we have surely gone oversize - and the rivets are dragged bit by bit from their comfortable holes. So, I plan to use closed end flush rivets - (very strong rivets that I have replaced on F-1 cars in the past.)
P1040649 c.jpg
Slice open a way out -- and haul out the plate. Tighten up the cage, weld the holes closed, and replace - with some spare screws used to align for the rivets re-attachment.
P1040651 c.jpg
It all filed off nicely, so that is about it.

I surmised that the alloy was somewhere near to 3005 so I used 1100 filler, and the color was my indication of a good choice. (tig weld)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2018, July 2022

Thanks for showing this repair and the previous welded hood post. There doesn't look to be any sign of corrosion between the steel and ali, but I guess if it has always been in a dry area it will stay good for many more years.

Cheers
Old 12-07-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmh View Post
Thanks for showing this repair and the previous welded hood post. There doesn't look to be any sign of corrosion between the steel and ali, but I guess if it has always been in a dry area it will stay good for many more years.

Cheers
Hi David,
You are very welcome.

Here is a close-up view of the hood when slit open :
P1040635 c x.jpg
I am seeing some sort of chromate-looking primer, probably laid on before hood assy. This car has been a SF Bay Area unti for long years.
Note the steel piece also has a black primer-looking coat on it.
Perhaps the combo has forestalled the inevitable - ???

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 PM

Great job Kent ,have had this very same experiences with MG and Rover bonnets and door hinges.
Strangely enough Chrysler still use the caged nut system on certain parts and it does your head in ,always one bolt that gives you are hard time and of course it will be in the most inaccessible spot.

Pat the panel beater
Old 12-08-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
Great job Kent ,have had this very same experiences with MG and Rover bonnets and door hinges.
Strangely enough Chrysler still use the caged nut system on certain parts and it does your head in ,always one bolt that gives you are hard time and of course it will be in the most inaccessible spot.
Hi Pat,
You are very welcome.
Sometimes archaic fastening systems just refuse to fade away - or improve themselves.
A stainless nut in the cage would sure improve that gizmo ....