All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-21-2017, 01:14 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
Very well said and appreciated, Kent. I used to crash into a lot more things than I do now. Good info, good tools and people worthy of being considered worthy are more important than quick progress.

Gotta ask if you're working on a new underwater forming and welding video series while testing these filters underwater yet... Hope you and others here doing ok around all the wet weather out there.
Agreed,
"crash into" = for me, same as hurry to the junkyard.

The water thing is a test of spirit. Flooded rooms and leaking roof on top of the daily challenges. In a few minutes I will see if the canyon highway has one lane yet intact, as the other lane fell off down the cliff last week..... in two places. One place was repaired but the other .... well, not so easy.
sigh.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:55 PM

You would think for the price you pay for it should be the best quality available...

Just like LPG here in Oz, a lot of the time it is absolute rubbish, and sometime you could get lucky and source some good stuff.
Forever re-tunning cars on LPG due to poor gas.

I have only once had poor Argon gas, and they replaced the bottle for free. But it was a hassle trying to prove it was poor gas though.

Not a bad little device Kent!.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnek View Post
You would think for the price you pay for it should be the best quality available...

Just like LPG here in Oz, a lot of the time it is absolute rubbish, and sometime you could get lucky and source some good stuff.
Forever re-tunning cars on LPG due to poor gas.

I have only once had poor Argon gas, and they replaced the bottle for free. But it was a hassle trying to prove it was poor gas though.

Not a bad little device Kent!.
Thanks, John.
Yes, it is a tussle getting the gas supplier to accept a dirty bottle back - but easier now than back in 1989, when it was almost unheard of. Like Rick M. mentioned, the dirty ones likely go right back out .... Been thinking if there is some way to trigger a "hydro test" on a given bottle....
I'm sure that will get the bottle pulled from service, uncorked and washed out.

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:20 PM

Default dirty bottles pulled from service.

If you strike an arc on the bottle it will be retired.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:14 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Question for Kent: When I installed the new filter assembly, should I have done anything to clean the hoses ? I know that the hoses are on the down side of the filter, but they would also contain any dirty residue from the time period prior to using this new filter.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Question for Kent: When I installed the new filter assembly, should I have done anything to clean the hoses ? I know that the hoses are on the down side of the filter, but they would also contain any dirty residue from the time period prior to using this new filter.
Will,
Best to remove the fuel reg from the bottle and clean the mating surfaces. If they are caked with a beige/puce mud then best to do an alcohol purge/wash of your fuel line and fittings.