All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-24-2015, 10:56 AM
billfunk29 billfunk29 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 211
Default Chemsharp - tungsten sharpening

Here is an alternative to grinding tungsten. I like to use it when I get new box of tungsten. Pretty quick to do the whole box. I also use the propane torch as in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSSaJ-Ke7as
__________________
Bill Funk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Stretch Stretch is offline
MetalShaper of the Month Aug 2016, Feb 2017, Sept 2018
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cornwall, England
Posts: 435
Default

Never seen that before - interesting. How well does the tip weld after chemical sharpening? Looks like it might weld well on AC. How about DC? Do you get a nice, tight arc?
__________________
Matt
www.air-Kraft.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2015, 03:28 PM
AllyBill AllyBill is offline
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2019
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 375
Default

Looks like a whole lot of messing about to me. Been TIG welding for thirty years and never had a problem grinding a tungsten with whatever grinding tool is nearest. Besides, different shape points work best for different jobs so one size for all is less than ideal in my opinion.

Will
__________________
Here to learn.


William Pointer
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Gareth Davies Gareth Davies is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Staffordshire, England
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyBill View Post
Looks like a whole lot of messing about to me. Been TIG welding for thirty years and never had a problem grinding a tungsten with whatever grinding tool is nearest. Besides, different shape points work best for different jobs so one size for all is less than ideal in my opinion.

Will
Agree with that. I honestly can't see the benefits as it looked extremely slow. If anyone was worried about grinding contaminants they'd get a different sort of grinding wheel that was safe to use. I can't see many commercial welding shops adopting a process as slow as that. I bet the fumes off it are pretty nasty as well.
__________________
Gareth Davies
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Ranchero50 Ranchero50 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 71
Default

Ditto, way too many steps and prep work to do it. I'll argue my battery powered drill and belt sander does at least as nice a job in a fraction of the time.
__________________
Jamie, the kid who took his toys apart...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2015, 07:17 PM
AllyBill AllyBill is offline
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2019
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchero50 View Post
Ditto, way too many steps and prep work to do it. I'll argue my battery powered drill and belt sander does at least as nice a job in a fraction of the time.
I keep worn out, 3-inch Roloc discs for tungsten sharpening. They leave a good finish then I arc-up on a piece of scrap to ball the end, scratch the cooled ball on the scrap to be sure it strikes up nicely on the job and we're good to go.
Am I the only guy who touches down or shoves the filler into the tungsten from time to time? I want to be back on with the job quick as I can.

Will
__________________
Here to learn.


William Pointer
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-24-2015, 08:28 PM
dwood dwood is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Atascadero California
Posts: 51
Default

I've been TIG welding for over 40 years. Virtually all the time I need to sharpen a tungsten it is because I screwed-up and touched the puddle and it left a bunch of melted metal all over the end.

I use my 1" X 42" vertical belt sander. Takes all of about 15 seconds to replace the point.
__________________
Don
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2015, 08:49 PM
weldtoride weldtoride is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 862
Default

It's sodium nitrate, not exactly a newcomer to the market, it's been around for a while. I know a guy who uses it, it's fast if you use the shorting method, you leave your tungsten in the torch but extend it, and then short it to heat it red hot. Repeated dipping and depth of dip sharpens the angle.

Here's a vid from the manufacturer of the above mentioned product, more than one way to heat the tungsten is described:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drgaJVKxJxw

If you want to try it, there are some concerns out there re: the fumes and possible weld contamination for critical welds.
__________________
Mark from Illinois
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Metlmodr Metlmodr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide South Australia
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldtoride View Post
It's sodium nitrate, not exactly a newcomer to the market, it's been around for a while. I know a guy who uses it, it's fast if you use the shorting method, you leave your tungsten in the torch but extend it, and then short it to heat it red hot. Repeated dipping and depth of dip sharpens the angle.

Here's a vid from the manufacturer of the above mentioned product, more than one way to heat the tungsten is described:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drgaJVKxJxw

If you want to try it, there are some concerns out there re: the fumes and possible weld contamination for critical welds.
Almost correct!

It is actually sodium nitrite (NaNO2), not Sodium Nitrate as stated above.
__________________
Kym
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-26-2015, 10:59 AM
weldtoride weldtoride is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 862
Default

Thank you, big difference after I checked.

Personally, the fume thing stops me from using this, too many air born hazards in a welding environment to begin with.
__________________
Mark from Illinois

Last edited by weldtoride; 10-26-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.