All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Business Classifieds
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Administrator

I have seen Mike's gauges and the table he uses to cut the sweeps. It works great and takes about 5 minutes or less to make a sweep that exactly fits the panel you are trying to make.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:01 PM

Mike,
I would like to see a post on your contour gauge system.

Randy
Old 05-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I saw Mike demonstrate his contour maker at the last Dixieland event. Can't say that I can explain it today but I was blown away at the time. Mike is a very, very sharp dude.

Here is my thinking on sweeps. TODAY, it seems like very few cars have a constant radius for the entire panel. That makes a set of sweeps not that valuable and the longer sweep even less so. Think of a typical panel like a front fender of a mid 50's car that starts out with a smaller radius around the headlight and changes to a very large radius toward the door. No single sweep is going to fit.

With Mike's machine, he can duplicate the various segments and attach them together to create a CONTOUR gauge that is a perfect fit.

I like to think that my creativity is pretty high but Mike is so far above me I can't even see him.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:54 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Many of the curves and body lines on cars are what Scott Knight calls “proportional curves” or in another words a curve with a constantly changing radius. In cases of proportional curves constant radius sweeps aren’t really going to be that helpful, just something to consider before purchasing a set. I don’t recall seeing any sweeps when I was at Scott’s shop however that doesn’t mean he doesn’t own a set now . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 05-10-2016, 11:49 AM

Thanks Joe and Kerry,
I am thinking about offering a set of drawings and maybe a video.
This system has a lot of practical applications. I will try to make a short video to demonstrate the system. There is a lot to explain. If you are interested in making your own sweeps to fit your application let me know.
Mike
Mike@rousecustomfabrication.com

Mike

Last edited by Mike Rouse; 05-15-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:16 PM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

i want sweeps for low crown panel checking. I do door skins and decklids and roof inserts for 30s cars from time to time and kick shrinking an accurate gauge is a mess. I made a file and got a quote from a laser shop today. needless to say i'll have 100 sweeps in 4 days, at a fraction of the cost.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:10 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Steve,
You want to share your file?
Old 10-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rouse View Post
Thanks Joe and Kerry,
I am thinking about offering a set of drawings and maybe a video.
This system has a lot of practical applications. I will try to make a short video to demonstrate the system. There is a lot to explain. If you are interested in making your own sweeps to fit your application let me know.
Mike
Mike@rousecustomfabrication.com

Mike

I am interested in making my own countours. Currently I use 3/4" strips and make the shape using my Lancaster style shrinker & stretcher. I fine tune them by stretching the outside on a piece of railroad track as a dolly. Getting them close is the easy part. The fine tuning is what has me wanting a better way.

Thanks
Greg
Old 10-09-2017, 12:16 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Guys, many of us have been thru the thinking that 'I can build my own for cheap'. In reality it does not happen that way. Kerry and I repeated this idea when I discovered that you are not always able to build a fabricated wheeling machine for what you can buy one for, especially if you are employed and can earn money during the time that you would spend doing your own work. Long sweeps look impressive, but you are seldom working on panels with a constant radius over long dimensions, and if you do, you can slide the sweeps down the length of the panel. If the panel you are working on has any form of reverse curve, the shorter sweeps work better.

I have a set of the sweeps that Kerry is speaking about and I have seen what Jimmy Hervatin makes. Guys, do yourself a favor and get one of Jimmys sweep sets. They will show up in a few days, while you are busy making money at what you do best!

The do it yourself 'projects' do little more than feed your ego. Buy 'good stuff' from 'good guys' and keep moving! I'm a little embarrassed to reveal how old I was before I started figuring this out. You get what you pay for. 'one-offs' are rarely profitable.

Peter Tommasini makes an excellent set for the pro's, but they are a long way away.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 10-09-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Guys, do yourself a favor and get one of Jimmys sweep sets.
Where does one order them, and what do they cost?