All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-19-2018, 02:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Default Cunningham Buck: SOLD FOR What?!?!?

Though a "continuation", this is truly shocking:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24810/lot/10/
Old 09-19-2018, 03:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Looks like the item could have been better advertised. Big awkward things with a specialty or very finite consumer audience can be tough to sell for top money at auction. I always thought Bonhams sold more to the audience that can afford vs the audience that makes their own.

On the flip side- maybe somebody connected to AMS was the lucky buyer or may now have opportunity to acquire it for a reasonable price....? That would be very cool.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

OMG! I'm stunned that something that neat would go for nothing. I'd have given a grand for it sight unseen and gone to get it. Hopefully it went to a metalshaper. It would be neat to rebody a Corvette C4 with a body made on that buck.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:24 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
Though a "continuation", this is truly shocking:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24810/lot/10/

The C4R is probably the best-looking of the Cunningham series of race cars. Looks like an accurate buck, to me.

One of the most functionally-designed race cars ever made, in my opinion. All business.

Briggs was THE man in American auto racing.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:40 PM

Here is one of the continuation cars probably built on that buck: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/227...tegory=results

ærugo nunquam dormit

Last edited by steve.murphy; 09-19-2018 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-2018, 06:41 PM

Funny this came up - I was at the Simeone museum 2 weeks ago. I wanted to see their Cunningham C4R to see some details for my Kurtis inspired build. The car was not on display (was being worked on) After some begging, they let me go in the garage area, where it was on a lift. I got to look under, in and around the whole car. VERY cool experience. Does anyone know where these bodies were originally built? I know Vignale built the coupes, but unsure of the 2 C4r roadsters. Overall, the quality was a little better than i expected but it was definitely built to race.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:18 PM

G. Briggs Weaver (father of George Weaver who raced a pre-war Maserati gran prix racer in the NE USA in the early SCCA series) formerly of Dupont automobiles was responsible for the overall chassis design of the C-4R and C-4RK. Chrysler did the HEMI engines with involvement of their own engineers. Bob Drake was the one who designed the bodies for both. Bodies were built in West Palm Beach at the factory. Supposedly Dr Kamm (aerodynamicist was flown in to help with design) -- folklore. He was visiting Florida on vacation when the coupe was near completion and just consulted but it was basically built already (but to a KAMM tail configuration already underway.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:29 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
G. Briggs Weaver (father of George Weaver who raced a pre-war Maserati gran prix racer in the NE USA in the early SCCA series) formerly of Dupont automobiles was responsible for the overall chassis design of the C-4R and C-4RK. Chrysler did the HEMI engines with involvement of their own engineers. Bob Drake was the one who designed the bodies for both. Bodies were built in West Palm Beach at the factory. Supposedly Dr Kamm (aerodynamicist was flown in to help with design) -- folklore. He was visiting Florida on vacation when the coupe was near completion and just consulted but it was basically built already (but to a KAMM tail configuration already underway.

Mark,
Do you believe the Kamm tail is of any real aerodynamic benefit? I've wondered for a long time.

BTW: The German wind tunnel at Goettingen came AFTER Wilbur Wright's tunnel!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
Mark,
Do you believe the Kamm tail is of any real aerodynamic benefit? I've wondered for a long time.
Yes but it depends upon its usage and what compromises one can live with. If it was a Bonneville streamliner and that extra length of tail section (several feet perhaps or even longer) to properly make things work aerodynamically is one thing over a long straight distance. Doing it on a road course ala Le Mans or the Mille Miglia where that extra length (and weight) is a severe penalty -- I'd take 70% efficient version over the aerodynamic perfect solution that would be impossible to race.