All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-10-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Deyton View Post
Used Picklex 20 for years. Works well and sands easily painting over.
http://picklex20.com/technical-picklex20/

Dave
Yikes, $46 bucks for a 16 oz..

Route56 had some magic chemical, Dan??
Old 09-10-2014, 07:42 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2020

There is one sure way to stop metal from rusting, DEHUMIDIFING. No mess. If you don't want to dehumidify the whole room then use a small dehumidifer and tarp tent over the sheet metal. But it sounds like your basement could use one running all the time anyway.

My whole shop is and always has been airconditioned and dehumidified from spring to fall. Nothing rusts in there. I have sheet metal pieces that were cleaned and laying in the shop for over 25 years still rust free.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:56 PM

Wow!, that Pickle X 20 has gotten really expensive. I have a gallon I've been using for years now. It works well but I'm not going to pay $183.00 for a gallon when it's used up. It has kept my sheet metal rust free, but a more economic solution may be in my future.

Dave
Old 09-10-2014, 11:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
I was just introduced to the BoeShield a couple of months ago (Head in the sand, I guess, since I work Primarily work on Southwest Airlines Boeing parts). My current CMM's all indicate LPS (By Mil Spec) for almost any long term applications. The Intorduction came from the Rockler Wood Working Store... They sell a 3 part kit to preserve and protect tools... Looks like good stuff
http://www.rockler.com/boeshield-3-p...-and-lubricant
Yes, the BoeShield is very good, and not having to deal with LPS is a relief.
P.S. - Kelleher built a good thing in SWA.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:49 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRodDoc View Post
There is one sure way to stop metal from rusting, DEHUMIDIFING. No mess. If you don't want to dehumidify the whole room then use a small dehumidifer and tarp tent over the sheet metal. But it sounds like your basement could use one running all the time anyway.

My whole shop is and always has been airconditioned and dehumidified from spring to fall. Nothing rusts in there. I have sheet metal pieces that were cleaned and laying in the shop for over 25 years still rust free.
Yeah, move to Nevada. No de-humidifier needed. Rust? What rust?

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:44 AM

Default 50% mix

of Phophoric acid and distilled water.My panel never rust but before priming you must remove the whitish coating as epoxy primer and this phospho mix dont play nice together.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:13 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Deoxidine is used quite a bit here in NZ to initially mildly etch (mild phosphoric acid) for paint prep, but for longer term bare metal care one of my local metal heroes put me onto Epiphos.

"Epiphos is a chemically active primer which reacts with ferrous substrates resulting in a chemical bond far stronger than physical adhesion bonds (epigenic coating). It has water displacing properties and may be applied by brush, roller, spray or dip operation. Epiphos dries giving a glossy, clear, hard surface allowing visual inspection prior to application of finish coats."

http://www.chemetall.co.nz/product/epiphos

A little goes a long way. I got a litre from my media blaster and stuck it in a domestic pump spray bottle. Mist it on and wipe it over. Dries quickly and can be welded through and painted over without issue. The shell of our racecar and all of the fabricated metal bits are coated with this and are holding up well.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:09 AM

Picklex is great stuff - used to be called Rass-o-nil. I have a gallon of the stuff but it is very expensive. Some time ago I bought a spray bottle of the "must for rust" from Kent White. It seems to do the job as well as Picklex and at half the price or less.