All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-13-2015, 12:08 PM

Default Let's see those plates!

So Spartan has acquired a very nice pair of wide flange 12" beams for a railcar fixture, and we are almost done with the project. A surface plate is going sit on top of them soon and we are looking for your ideas. Right now we are leaning towards 1.250 plate 96"x 216" (one piece plate) but we are open to suggestions. Any pictures or observations would be appreciated.
Most of what we do revolves around automobiles, but occasionally we build other things so the plate will be drilled and tapped as needed for fixtures and tie-downs. Having worked on several plates over the years we will be shooting for about 15-16" overall height with air and electricity plumbed between the rails to eliminate the inevitable birds' nest of hoses and cords. A center line and outer reference lines will be cut in it (probably at 46" but that may change- input?)

We also have a set of 10" WF rails for a future chassis fixture so this won't have to do double duty. FYI
Old 08-13-2015, 03:34 PM

Here's a thread about chassis tables that you might not have seen, mine is pictured in Post #41
Old 08-14-2015, 02:09 AM

Thanks Gareth,
Lots of good ideas for the chassis jig/plate when it comes time. Your sliding fixtures/ rails are wonderful, beautiful work! What I am looking for is observations on a more body-focused plate which would have a wider "platen" or plate surface. To cut a center access hole, not to cut, Centerlines on X axis vs X and Y axis etc....... Blanchard ground vs trying to level a raw rolled plate? What would anybody do different? I'm trying to build our "Forever Plate" so we only have to do this once.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Arc & Panel Co. View Post
Thanks Gareth,
Lots of good ideas for the chassis jig/plate when it comes time. Your sliding fixtures/ rails are wonderful, beautiful work! What I am looking for is observations on a more body-focused plate which would have a wider "platen" or plate surface. To cut a center access hole, not to cut, Centerlines on X axis vs X and Y axis etc....... Blanchard ground vs trying to level a raw rolled plate? What would anybody do different? I'm trying to build our "Forever Plate" so we only have to do this once.
Nate, in an ideal world I'd have about 3 or 4 variations of what I've already made as it's virtually impossible to get the best of everything with just one but space is such a big consideration. One of the things I struggled to decide on is the height at which you should be working at and mine is 39" which some might say is too high but, having spent the past 20 years crawling round in tight roof voids, I would rather now be able to stand up when working on my projects! I know it makes bodywork harder at that height but I am hoping to build another low level jig (possible a plate one such as your idea) to use as a continuation of the chassis jig. It's all about time at the minute but it's best to give it a lot of thought before committing to your final design.