All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Heads Up Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-21-2017, 05:22 PM

Default Mini Nibblers Michigan Craigslist

https://centralmich.craigslist.org/tls/5987240595.html
https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/hvo/5977901622.html

I Just saw these listings on anther forum; they might still be available.
Are these smaller types useful for anything?

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 02-21-2017, 07:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.murphy View Post
https://centralmich.craigslist.org/tls/5987240595.html
https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/hvo/5977901622.html

I Just saw these listings on anther forum; they might still be available.
Are these smaller types useful for anything?
I think they are handy, especially if you need to cut a few identical accurate blanks from a hard pattern of sheet metal, masonit, Lexan, Lucite, hardboard etc. ....

Heck calls their machine a "trace-a-punch," btw.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I'd give a hundred bucks for that in a heartbeat! Those things are really handy. Carey Culpepper (Mr. C) made thumbnail dies for his Heck Trace-A-Punch.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:15 AM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Carey Culpepper (Mr. C) made thumbnail dies for his Heck Trace-A-Punch.
I used to have a Trace-A-Punch, but sold it a few years ago. Sold it after I built a small portable power shrinker based on the Scotch Yoke mechanism the Trace-A-Punch uses. I used the Trace-A-Punch for template work replicating parts. That work dried up.

I spoke with Carey some time before that about him doing that and was told there was so little room in the Trace-A-Punch for thumbnail dies. And that's a correct assessment of them. Stout little machine though, being all cast iron, and real heavy.

Like Carey told me, I wouldn't waste my time trying to make a shrinker out of one. Although from the knowledge I gained in building the portable shrinker, I have different thinking about how to do it now. I'd shape the ram's lower end into the female die to gain the needed room, but that would require a new ram. I'd have to heat treat the new ram with it having that feature. I'm still much happier with my new machine over the Trace-A-Punch.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I agree Bob, I wouldn't use it for a shrinker either. I just mentioned that it had been done...mainly because someone probably told Carey it wouldn't work and he wanted to prove them wrong...

That said, the nibbler/punch function if really handy and for a hundred bucks.....
Old 02-22-2017, 04:17 PM

I took a look at the photos of both machines. The Heck is an early model like mine with the stripper foot that bolts on the side of the machine. This one has the stripper foot relocated further back for some strange reason. I upgraded mine to a better shaft mounted stripper foot similar to the later model Hecks. The box of dies would be nice to have, but they are not for a Heck Trace-a-Punch. Looks like standard fare for a small punch press or ironworker.
The other machine looks very similar to the deep throat Heck but is different. I don't understand the bolt on plates on the front. Particularly the lower. Perhaps a better adjustment mechanism lies behind those panels. I also don't see any type of stripper foot on this machine. I would certainly throw a hundred bucks at it any day.
The shrink die thing on my machine was why I took a chance on buying my machine. I had basically given up on finding a pullmax. Not for lack of trying. I bought it on ebay and was waiting in my driveway waiting for the UPS truck when a neighbor from up the street stopped by to ask if I had means to do a job for XM Satellite Radio. He worked in their skunk works. I told him that in about 15 minutes the UPS truck will be delivering the perfect machine to do the job. The job paid for the machine several times over. Anyway, I made some thumbnail dies just days before the Metalshapers meet at Randy Fergusons shop in Robinson,IL. The year of the tent incident. I hauled it up there basically untested and "tuned the dies while I was there. A lot of folks took it for a ride. I made the upper die from a large titanium bolt that I bought on ebay. I was concerned about vibration from a heavier die. It made a decent shrinker. Good enough to drive up the ebay prices on those nibblers for a while. Phil Heck showed some interest in having me make some shrink dies for him but I wasn't into CNC at that point and didn't pursue it. I should have. I regret that decision.
Bob: I don't recall why I tried to talk you out of it. That has been a while.
Shortly after getting the Heck, I finally found and bought a P9 Pullmax. I have yet to build shrink dies for it. When I actually get to do some metalshaping, I tend to use the product that I make. It doesn't leave any marks. Shameless plug inserted here. Still true.
As I recall, the little Heck was rated for nibbling 3/16" stainless. Certainly not gutless. 1 1/2 hp.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com

Last edited by mr.c; 02-22-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:13 PM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
mainly because someone probably told Carey it wouldn't work and he wanted to prove them wrong...

That said, the nibbler/punch function if really handy and for a hundred bucks.....
That's funny. Yeah, for a hundred bucks, it's a great buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post
The box of dies would be nice to have, but they are not for a Heck Trace-a-Punch. Looks like standard fare for a small punch press or ironworker.
I didn't think they looked like the punches and dies for mine. But it's been gone long enough I'm getting vague on that point.

Quote:
Bob: I don't recall why I tried to talk you out of it. That has been a while.
Like you, I don't recall the specifics, just you thought it not really worth it. That had to have been better than 4 years ago.

Quote:
As I recall, the little Heck was rated for nibbling 3/16" stainless. Certainly not gutless. 1 1/2 hp.
After I built my portable shrinker, I set out to find out what it's limits were. Knowing the Heck's limits, I thought it would surely go to 16 gauge. But nope, I galled the brass shoe inside in short order. Started making a bunch of racket. Some research led me to realize brass wasn't the best material for the shoe. It was what I had on hand during the build. Now I have some odd looking 954 bearing bronze for making that part and it's holding up fine. But I've not tried to do 16 gauge since. My machine is 1 1/2hp as well, but I've limited it to just under 1200 rpm, unlike the Heck.