All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-30-2016, 03:54 AM

Great to see Peter sharing his knowledge and enjoying the hospitality of you all . .. shame there no aussie met this year ..
Old 10-30-2016, 05:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Pictures of last day of the class.

Fitting the inside upper edge of the left front Bugatti fender.
PeterClassSat 003.jpg

Cotton Eubanks, Barry Duck worth and I using Pullmax to install door panel beads.
PeterClassSat 005.jpg

Cotton Eubanks and I pre-stretching for beading on the Pullmax.
PeterClassSat 009.jpg

Peter and Scott White planishing on fender.
PeterClassSat 013.jpg

Scott White, Jim Hery and Peter fitting another panel to the fender.
PeterClassSat 014.jpg

Clint (A.C.) Button' napping' while working on Bugatti fender.
PeterClassSat 015.jpg

Scott White, Clint Button and Peter fitting more panels on fender.
PeterClassSat 017.jpg

Greg Plunkett and Peter shrinking an edge on home made power shrinker.
PeterClassSat 018.jpg

Jere Peterson watches Peter adjust the camber on the lower anvil to tip an edge for install a wire edge. A GREAT feature of Peters wheels.
PeterClassSat 019.jpg

Finished wire edge in fender panel.
PeterClassSat 033.jpg

Starting wire edging by fitting wire insert.
PeterClassSat 025.jpg

Beginning of the edging.
PeterClassSat 031.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 10-30-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:36 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Thanks Peter,

are you willing to tell why

What was the feature from the hammer?

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
Good tool Ben!! Well done!
Peter
Old 10-30-2016, 07:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Ben- not sure but I think he liked how well it woke me up when I dozed off..... His wheels just whisper and kinda hypnotize you into a altered state.

Man alive- he worked out butts off and ran circles around us. Then he'd grab a hammer and beat that panel on the stump in a fury, back and forth, and it fits.

All I can say is how much I appreciate things right now- Not sure of the formal hierarchy of the forum and who I don;t know that I should thank, so I'll default to Kerry. Kerry, without AMS and what you've done, I would likely have not made it to today as effortlessly as it has happened. Connecting with Peter and the other new mentors along the way, getting a cast wheel that I have wanted for nearly 30 yrs, etc. Very cool.

Thanks, man.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

He AC,

good to hear from yo again, hope you are ok,besides the sleeping problem

take care

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
Ben- not sure but I think he liked how well it woke me up when I dozed off..... His wheels just whisper and kinda hypnotize you into a altered state.

Man alive- he worked out butts off and ran circles around us. Then he'd grab a hammer and beat that panel on the stump in a fury, back and forth, and it fits.

All I can say is how much I appreciate things right now- Not sure of the formal hierarchy of the forum and who I don;t know that I should thank, so I'll default to Kerry. Kerry, without AMS and what you've done, I would likely have not made it to today as effortlessly as it has happened. Connecting with Peter and the other new mentors along the way, getting a cast wheel that I have wanted for nearly 30 yrs, etc. Very cool.

Thanks, man.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:07 AM

Will,

Thanks for the great post. I hope you keep it up throughout the class. I also would like to see a picture of the "special" stump depression that you talked about. Thanks.

Buster Hoffmaster
Old 10-31-2016, 06:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Thanks Peter,

are you willing to tell why

What was the feature from the hammer?

Ben

Ben
the hammer is simply a good tool all around!
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 11-01-2016, 08:59 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterH View Post
Will,

Thanks for the great post. I hope you keep it up throughout the class. I also would like to see a picture of the "special" stump depression that you talked about. Thanks.

Buster Hoffmaster
Here are pics requested of the stump depression Peter prefers.

Compared to the more common bowl shaped depression, the open aspect partnered with the varying steep (left side in pic) to shallow (right side in pic) profile allows you to create a wide variety of puckers. A single or double hit will raise a pucker where you want, as large or small as you want while not creating any other deformation of the metal. To raise the same big pucker in a round hole, a witness mark caused by the perimeter of the bowl creates more work. I was careful to carve the edges pretty square. Peter soon took his hammer and crushed the square edges. the maximum depth of this depression should match your heavy steel/iron blocking hammer. I still need to better even & smooth the gouge marks on the interior to limit the grain witness marks, but I assume if they bothered him Peter would similarly take his hammer and eliminate them....

When Will said to bring our stumps so we could do this, I misunderstood. After repeatedly studying his recent 36 Ford mudguard thread, I thought he was talking about the contoured edges of Peter's stump used extensively through is recent 36 mudguard thread. I found out I was wrong. So I asked Peter about his stump, gave him a pen and he laid out both of my stumps. If I had a single large enough stump, I would have done it all on one. Now, it'll be hard to turn loose of ones he laid out for me..... I'll just put them on some risers.

When I got home Wed PM, I took my hand tools and carved both stumps to take back to Will's.

The edge contour is a combination of straight and curve, approx 50% of them "square" and 50% of them well rounded allowing a huge variety of shaping potential. Over the next days, Peter repeatedly used these shapes to do what he wanted with the metal we were working. No hypothetical, no pc, no long lectures, just results. Do it how you want, but what he does works.

As an Exec Chef, your tool kit is critical. It has to be enough to do anything anywhere without needing a truck to haul it. There is no place for what cannot be trusted or is superfluous. With the same perspective in mind, I told Peter I wanted to see his kit- what he carried halfway around the world to use to teach us what he thought we should know. We laid out his tools-

Short of his stump, his cast wheel and his concrete floor (you can laugh but I'm not kidding- you should see him use it) Peter said these are the same and only tools used to make the Monaro quarter panel. His dolly in the bottom right is hard to see. The two wood/poly mallets at top right are not part of his kit. So, if he could take these tools mentioned and make an entire quarter panel in one piece, anyone else should be able to learn to do the same. That's all you really need, as long as you learn how to use them.

As far as the wheel goes, I've noted I had never used an English Wheel. I had also never seen anyone use one like Peter. Passionate is a good way to put it- finesse, intense concentration, wrestling and more. He didn't just roll it back and forth and use a little pressure once in a while. He makes it happen and uses it as hard or as gently as his hammer and stump. I would never have used a wheel, almost to the point of violence, like that. He never abused it, but he allowed no quarter (no pun intended..) Now I know what to do.

Now, opinion stuff-

There are always reasons to have more tools, make all the tools you want, study vast technical details can be endlessly argued without even producing a single tangible successful result. It doesn't matter how many books you read or tools you have/make/buy. You have to do it. BUT just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it. It's the same in my stone sculpture work. Too many think reading, socializing and endlessly collecting will instantly transform them into something they are not. It doesn't happen. Peter swings that 3lb hammer as hard and fast as any man I have ever met and I'm in the hammer swinging business with some big strong men. He also did it for a living for decades, long before selling a single tool, video or class. That say a lot to me. The metal tells the truth about what he does and who he is.

Apprenticing means signing away yourself. Choose your path, shut up, do what you're told and trust your Master. That means throwing away a lot of “I know...” or “I've got...” when your Master says it doesn't work. If he's real, he knows. Trust him and do what he does. To me, much of the magic of this work is how much can be done with so little. I study old pictures and books of working studios- metal, stone, culinary, etc- and see what they had & used when it was just another job before it became trendy. I'd rather see a simple shop with the proper necessary tools- even if you flipped burgers to pay for them- than a dream shop showcase pristine space full of everything imaginable that never makes anything.

A tool collection will not make you good at anything except collecting tools. It's easy to get trapped into making all the tools you “need” before ever learning how to use them. The ability doesn't just happen because you have the tools or the books. There's lots of chefs using all variety of hybrid knives that are nothing I would ever own or trust for anything. I can do more with a single real French knife they they can do with an entire roll or kitchen full of fashion statements and hat tricks. Sometimes you can go cheap. Sometimes you need to spend the money on the real tools. Period.

I've been interested in this metal work for decades and have not seen what I was trying to learn until last week. Lots of people have played a role, often in unintended and indirect ways. Long ago, I learned to prepare yourself, then go to the top and work your way across. Even when that means throwing a lot away to start all over again and spending longer than you thought to get there, it's nice when it finally happens.....

Very cool.

Edit- meant to add. As far as welding goes, Kent White's Meco Midget was the unanimous belle of the ball for both steel and aluminium (AU spelling...) work. I've have Kent TM2000 aluminum gas welding lens for yrs and it has no peer. Now that meco, his tips and lightweight hose leads are on my list of must haves.

Last edited by cliffrod; 11-01-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Kent White Meco
Old 11-02-2016, 04:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Thanks for sharing your insight into your experience. Always good to see what one gets from a metal meet like this, and it will be different for everyone.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.