All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-16-2015, 04:24 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
I like the bead roller design. I'm a big fan of having an air cylinder for the upper shaft pressure. Snappy action is best for that - instead of winding a screw up and down.

You are doing nice work, Richard. Good to see.
Many thanks Kent! This is very much new ground for me, so baby steps.

Actually it's not an air cylinder (I know you like your air cylinders!) on the top shaft of the BR, just an over centre plunger as per Tom's design. I've made a few mods to it, but that is just a grease nipple on the front. I did use a fine thread Metric bolt as the adjuster (M14x1.5) so I know that turning it 6 flats gives me 1.5 mm of depth, 2 flats is 0.5mm etc.... I did plan on numbering the flats. Got some skateboard wheels to experiment with last week and machined up all of the scrap nylon stock I had lying around. Quite like the nylon and it's much nicer to broach keyways in than 4140
Old 08-25-2015, 05:54 AM

Default Making scrap

Wasn't happy with the new pieces I made last week. I originally just cut straight bits in the guillotine, put a radius fold in the middle and then pulled the shape in with the shrinker stretcher. Gave me the right shape (both ways) but left lots of marks on the panels. Into the scrap bin they went.

Take 2. Made a paper template from what was left of the old window surround using brown masking paper. Transferred this to a piece of aluminium to make a rigid, but this time curved template and then onto the 0.8 CRS electrogalv sheet. Finish trimmed with snips and cleaned up carefully with a file so that all 4 pieces were accurate. Then shaped the whole lot in the swage using various tipping wheels and stepped bottom dies as a guide. Once I had the two centre folds in, indexing off either side, I then flipped the panel over and tipped the outside flange, again indexing off the edge with a stepped bottom die. Once the folds were about 80% there, switched to the nylon shaped dies to close in on the final shape. The vertical contour was eased in by bending the panel over a sand bag.

Pretty chuffed with the resulting panel gap, which I have closed up a bit, as we won't be running the screen rubber that would normally extend into the gap.

Spent ages shaping the rear firewall panel - it just looks like a fold at the top, but it has a bit of shape which tapers out to nothing at either end. It then has a flat on a different angle to pick up the lower half of the window surround. Plan is that if I think about the sequence, I should be able to get the new spotwelder into most of it. In hindsight, I should have wheeled the stretch into the top before folding the return, as I then couldn't get the wheel up the the edge near the fold. Finished up using a mallet and the bag the get the shape in and that left me a fair bit of file finishing - which I'm not very quick or good at... Another 40 years and I should have it sussed.

Not sure where the rear speakers are going to go.

Name:  20150823_103944.jpg
Views: 2359
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  20150825_213254.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  20150825_213401.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  20150825_215801.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  74.7 KB

Last edited by skintkarter; 08-25-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2018, July 2022

Default Nice Job

Hi Richard
You're making a great job on your racecar. Looks to be of a real high standard.
That's some bead roller you've got. I'm jealous.

Regards
Old 08-25-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmh View Post
That's some bead roller you've got.
Thanks David! The beadroller, like a fair bit of my sheetmetal gear, is home made. Plans were from Tom Verity (CourtJester) but a few mods to make it 'mine'. There is a build thread on here. Only issue so far is that I think I need to make a larger table.

http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=12894

My wheel, air planishing hammer and 4' box and pan are also home brewed. The wheel had been started by somebody else, as had the folder, but then the mechanical bits were awful in both cases, so got washed off with the gas and started again. Was a good excuse to buy more gear. I reasoned that I needed a 3 tonne Russian shaper to nungger out the fingers for my box and pan folder Everybody needs a steam engine in the corner of the shop.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:02 AM

Now that I have the rear screen surround sorted, I felt confident enough to remove the rear bodywork in preparation to fitting the new rear panel and making up the rest of the boot sheetmetal.

Also finished the fuel swirl tank. Welding definitely not yet god like.

Name:  20150830_161151.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  20150830_161330.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  40.2 KB
Old 08-30-2015, 11:48 AM
yukon cornelius

Wow! I think the work is excellent, but I don't understand why the whole rear of the car needs to be removed.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon cornelius View Post
Wow! I think the work is excellent, but I don't understand why the whole rear of the car needs to be removed.
Hi Ryan. Many thanks. The end result will be a Group 5 (wide - 2.0mtrs) bodykit in alloy with the rear guards lapping over the bits left of the rear quarters and fastening in the boot gutters. There is some remaining corrosion in the boot gutters and lots of holes in the rear panel, so in turn with replacing the rear panel, it seemed to be a logical course of action to remake the boot gutters. This way I can make them a touch stronger to take the boot lid pins and a touch lower to accommodate the material of the rear guard. There is a stiffening panel which goes from the wheelarch to the taillight panel. Really the only bit of the original rear quarter that remains, is the bit which picks up the outer end of the taillight. I may try to incorporate this into the alloy, rather than unpicking it from the discarded quarter. Next post should make it make sense
Old 08-30-2015, 03:38 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

I am certainly learning there is a lot more to building one of these than I thought. Thanks for showing it all.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
I am certainly learning there is a lot more to building one of these than I thought. Thanks for showing it all.
Me too Marcus!!
Old 08-30-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Most of the factory cars were not this radical Marcus. The firewalls were cut to move the engine back around 120mm, but the floor, rear inner wheelarches and rear bulkhead retained the original sheetmetal, along with the axle beam and trailing arms. They did run a Halibrand or similar QC rear end (so some supporting framework and different rear turret arrangements) and some lost the radiator support panel and front half of the inner guards. Everything that wasn't doing something was attacked with a chassis punch to make it look like a piece of Gruyere. The n/a cars were under 900kgs with 300hp and the turbo ones had 500+

There were a handful of factory spaceframe cars (one ended up in Australia) and a few more made by Schnitzer.

Interesting and very comprehensive re-build thread of one of the spaceframe cars here.

https://munsty.smugmug.com/Other/