All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-05-2020, 11:14 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default Re: Rusting Tools ??

This year in the Northeast has been the worst I’ve ever seen for rusting tools. It’s by far been the worst year I’ve seen for rusting dollies, hammer faces, punches & dies and machinery surfaces turning brown which surprises me because it wasn’t a particularly humid summer. I’m curious if this is a Northeast phenomenon or for some reason it’s been that bad all over the country ? Also I remember reading about something machinists put in their tool box drawers to combat this, does anyone know what that is ? I’d rather not coat my tools with oil if possible . Thanks ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 01-05-2020, 11:47 AM

My shop at home I run a large dehumidifier. It's the only thing that I've found that helps. On my dollies, wheel and anvils, I'll use a thin coat of lanolin based "Fluid Film". Cleans up easy.
As for what machinists use, bags of desiccant maybe? That would help but you would have to change it very frequently.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:22 PM

I see the issue when the temperatures change frequently. Things are cold and then it warms up and the humidity rises - which then condenses on cold tools. As a generality, keeping the temperature above 50℉ tends to diminish this issue.

You may be talking about putting something like this in your toolbox drawers: https://www.zerust.com/products/vci-paper/

Last edited by PAToyota; 01-16-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

I keep the heat up and rusty metal out of my shop. If i get a rusty fender or car body in my place, everything seems to rust. I keep the heat about 50* in the shop all winter. it helps a ton. My garage is very well insulated as well. Cement and Block structures always seem to breed rust around here from my perspective.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:55 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Rust shows up only in spring when the outside temperature rises. All machines and everything metal is wet. I have wet walls, bad roofs and so on. For me it's clear. when I do not work and do not use heating, the humidity rises up to 85%. I have a hygrometer as part of the clock. If I keep the humidity around 65% is not a corrosion problem. Changes in outdoor temperatures have a great effect.

If you work little with tools, that's another reason. Increase your work pace and rotate tools. This will prevent corrosion of tools and your self body.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:58 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Okay……… I found it (Camphor Blocks) but thanks for your help / ideas / experiences anyway. ~ John Buchtenkirch AKA Old Butcher

Using Camphor Blocks as a Metal Tool Box Rust Prevention Device
Camphor fumes released through a plastic cylinder (like an old film container) will give your tool box a nice rust prevention coat. To prevent rust from forming on tools in your drawers or tool chest, all you need is a block of camphor and a plastic film canister. Camphor is available from pharmacies in segmented 2" x 2" blocks. Just drill a few 1/4"-diameter holes in a canister, stick a quarter of the camphor block inside and cap it. Store one of these little canisters wherever you keep metal tools. The camphor fumes form a molecular film on metal surfaces that retards rust. A quarter block lasts about a year and will treat several drawers or a whole toolbox. When the camphor smell disappears, you’ll know it’s time for a fresh piece.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:50 PM

I live in Michigan everything sweats when cold and hit by humid air I am in the middle of the rust belt
Old 01-05-2020, 03:24 PM

I'm out on the West coast, but many of us that have shops and everything from old cars to collections of Hit & Miss engines etc. use box fans to keep the air moving which seems to keep the moisture at bay for our lower humidity.

Just something you might try on the equipment side of the issue.
I'll be going to the pharmacy this week for the camphor for the tool box.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris
Old 01-05-2020, 04:29 PM

I use the camphor here in humid Brisbane and it works. I get mine at the big box store , they come in tubes that you hang in your closet for moths. After. A couple of moths they have evaporated rated and disappeared and replace them.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 01-05-2020, 08:24 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

When I inherited my great uncle machinist tool box, it had camphor blocks in several drawers and no rust in sight. His box was kept is a cold damp garage so the camphor works, if you can live with the smell

I coat my tools with SC Johnson non-drying floor paste wax with great results. I keep a small rag in the tin can so it is always ready to go.

To this day, 20 years later, I can still smell the camphor when I open Uncle George's tool box

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.