All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-08-2019, 07:12 AM
Metal Shaper of the Month, April 2011, December 2012, May 2016

Hi Clint,

I repurposed parts of a Libert Shear a few years ago to make a reciprocating machine. I was looking for a way to replace the air power hammer due to noise considerations, and for many (not all) operations I've been satisfied with the transition. I took a very low tech yet thoughtful, I think, approach to the build. I'm not supposing you would want to replicate my efforts, as your needs will likely be different than mine, but the one feature I ended up with that I have not only come to value, but for my methods is indespensible, is the foot actuated eccentric tool lift. I have the ability to lift the tool to insert the work into the machine at any chosen point and work any specific area or spot on a part and get back out. But more than that, subtle blends of shaping are possible by feathering the tooling gap tighter or looser with infinite control, on the fly, as you respond to visual cues coming from the highlights off the panel. I thought you might want to at least consider if that feature might be valuable to you as you design your machine.
I have images in my album of parts of the build. There's also a quick release that I came up with that has proven to be dependable, too.

Good luck,

Mark

www.markgoodenough.com

Last edited by mark g; 04-08-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Your decision to move away from the original Libert "c" frame is the kind of perspective I've been looking for, Mark. The metal work I would like to do is more analogous to your sculpture than most things posted here.

The tool lift is also very relevant to my ambitions. I'm used to having complete control & instant flexibility regarding tool-work contact. working with any set gap or clearance is still a mental stumble....

Thanks, man.