All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Jimmy

the work you do is great! One thing is the sheet steel you are using? Is it zinc annealed? it looks to be. i would suggest using CSA3 cold rolled sheet. It will draw deeper and shrink and stretch much easier than ZA. CSA2 cold rolled is more common but i found it tends to crack easily when worked too much.

I have done quite a few radiator cowls and bodies all using the CSA3 cold rolled. I will never use anything else!

regards
Dave
Vintage Tin Australia

sleepy Adelaide
Old 12-30-2010, 04:39 PM

hi Dave the only problem with csa3 in nsw is cost the last sheet i got cost $113 and took 3 weeks to get it had to come up from vic unless you order a whole pack it's just to pricey i use plain old cold rolled now as it's only $35 a sheet and works well
Cheers Gav
Old 01-01-2011, 08:07 PM

WOW that price is robbery!
i pay an average of $38 per sheet based on my last order of 0.8, 1.0 and 1.2mm! I think the 0.8 is $32 and the 1.2 is $43

The plain cold rolled is the CSA2 grade and will work well. I mainly use the CSA3 for my mudguard rolling machines because the material needs to shrink and stretch at the same time and it reduced the amount of reject mudguards greatly. The diference is noticable when you grab scraps without knowing which grade you have.

when I am onto my supplier next i will ask them if they carry stock in NSW and let you know. I use one steel as a main supplier of CSA3 sheet.

regards
Dave

Last edited by Dave Hatcliffe; 01-01-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 PM

Sorry, I have been away and haven't had a chance to check in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cords View Post
another ozi how goods that great work mate keep it up
Thank you for the welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hartson View Post
Jimmy, Thanks for joining us and posting the pictures of your project.
Happy to be here among some amazing craftsmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hatcliffe View Post
Jimmy

the work you do is great! One thing is the sheet steel you are using? Is it zinc annealed? it looks to be. i would suggest using CSA3 cold rolled sheet. It will draw deeper and shrink and stretch much easier than ZA. CSA2 cold rolled is more common but i found it tends to crack easily when worked too much.

I have done quite a few radiator cowls and bodies all using the CSA3 cold rolled. I will never use anything else!

regards
Dave
Vintage Tin Australia

sleepy Adelaide
G'day Dave, yes it is zinc annealed lesson learnt, never again. CSA2 CSA3 is that similar to what they call black cold rolled?

My supplier only has 20 gauge (0.95mm) cold rolled. What do you recommend building bodies out of 20 or 22 gauge?

Quote:
hi Dave the only problem with csa3 in nsw is cost the last sheet i got cost $113 and took 3 weeks to get it had to come up from vic unless you order a whole pack it's just to pricey i use plain old cold rolled now as it's only $35 a sheet and works well
Cheers Gav
Gav, what gauge is that price for?

Quote:
WOW that price is robbery!
i pay an average of $38 per sheet based on my last order of 0.8, 1.0 and 1.2mm! I think the 0.8 is $32 and the 1.2 is $43

The plain cold rolled is the CSA2 grade and will work well. I mainly use the CSA3 for my mudguard rolling machines because the material needs to shrink and stretch at the same time and it reduced the amount of reject mudguards greatly. The diference is noticable when you grab scraps without knowing which grade you have.

when I am onto my supplier next i will ask them if they carry stock in NSW and let you know. I use one steel as a main supplier of CSA3 sheet.

regards
Dave
I don't have a Onesteel supplier up this way. Up here it's buy what they supply or go without.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:48 AM

1mm or 20 guage i use southern steel wife works for one steel dave but in
recycling so i gues that makes her the enemy
Old 01-12-2011, 05:06 PM

1mm is what i use but it always measures 0.95mm. I only use 0.8 on some difficult areas and some mudguards we roll. 1.2mm is used for floor and structural sections anything needing to be structurally stronger we go to 1.6 and 2mm black hot rolled.
My clasification on the steel is

hot rolled which has the black scale coating.
cold rolled is pickled so has a clean finish. this is confusing but when I order they always call it black cold rolled! but its not black. available in CSA2 and 3 rating. 3 being a deep drawing material.

hope this helps.

My shop is always open for any allmetal shaping/metal meet visitors as long as its pre aranged.

regards
Dave
Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
1mm or 20 guage i use southern steel wife works for one steel dave but in
recycling so i gues that makes her the enemy
Quote:
1mm is what i use but it always measures 0.95mm. I only use 0.8 on some difficult areas and some mudguards we roll. 1.2mm is used for floor and structural sections anything needing to be structurally stronger we go to 1.6 and 2mm black hot rolled.
My clasification on the steel is

hot rolled which has the black scale coating.
cold rolled is pickled so has a clean finish. this is confusing but when I order they always call it black cold rolled! but its not black. available in CSA2 and 3 rating. 3 being a deep drawing material.

hope this helps.

My shop is always open for any allmetal shaping/metal meet visitors as long as its pre aranged.

regards
Dave
Gav & Dave, I appreciate the input. I will buy a couple sheets tomorrow they are $63 a sheet for 0.95mm.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:00 AM

no sweat mate any time you should have a look here to
http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/index...bb73862ba07a22
this is the forum my rod club runs off great bunch of blokes and theres even some up your way
Cheers Gav
Old 01-13-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
no sweat mate any time you should have a look here to
http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/index...bb73862ba07a22
this is the forum my rod club runs off great bunch of blokes and theres even some up your way
Cheers Gav
G'day Gav, I have been a member of Ozrodders for several years. Oz-E-Rodders your club? I was part of it when they started it.

I've been a member of the HAMB since 2004 as well & is where I spend alot of my internet time. My username is Jimmy B on the HAMB and Ozrodders.

Cheers
Jimmy

Last edited by Jimmy B; 01-13-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Great Post.....

thanks for showing what can be done with hand tools and a strong arm

Please post more.....

Dave