All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-11-2020, 08:20 AM

Agreed, but, from personal experience you haven't seen a fifth of it yet !
Old 07-11-2020, 07:44 PM

Default I like it

Hi Kent,

When using a lower die that is tapered in both directions, does your upper die float enough to have the contact consistent across the entire hit, or do you really have to get everything absolutely parallel?

Ok, now I'm stretching the brain a little, and wondering what the result would be if the lower where tapered in both directions and curved (concave) as the same time, with a curved upper (convex) that matched.

I agree with Marc Bourget's comment - and think it's kinda scary at the same time.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Thanks, guys.
Problems just need solutions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Hi Kent,

When using a lower die that is tapered in both directions, does your upper die float enough to have the contact consistent across the entire hit, or do you really have to get everything absolutely parallel?

Ok, now I'm stretching the brain a little, and wondering what the result would be if the lower where tapered in both directions and curved (concave) as the same time, with a curved upper (convex) that matched.

I agree with Marc Bourget's comment - and think it's kinda scary at the same time.

Hi John,
The upper die does "float" (dance) but we have minimized it as much as possible, so die contact is much more on target, more of the time - see the previous photo of the 2in. long tapered contact again, and the photo immediately following showing two rows of the same die marks. These rows show consistent full-hit contact despite the little bit of necessary looseness from die-stem to barrel fit.

- So, that being established -
Yes! - I do have to keep the panel parallel to the die faces as I work it and this is why I used the ball tables with the foam-topped sled which carries the panels horizontally - and parallel to the die surfaces.
But this is the same requirement for the wheel, the pullmax, and other hammers.... right?
-But ... this is why we also offer the sets of "wobble dies" - upper And lower - so the panel can tilt off-plane while being smoothed/planished.
"Problems just need solutions."

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Good call by the admins on your 3rd MSOTM Kent! Thank you for all the time you continue to put into the page, sharing your immense knowledge and experience for those of us who are keen to learn.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:03 PM
MetalShaper of the Month November 2021

Congrats on MSOTM Kent. Wow 3 times. Thanks for all of your post and photos.

Keith
Old 07-13-2020, 06:30 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Congrats Kent. Always a pleasure checking out your work.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 07-16-2020, 10:07 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Always a lesson to be learned in Kent’s posts. thanks for sharing !!!

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 07-21-2020, 02:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Richard, Keith, Pugsy, and Robert - thank you ... and I'm very glad to be in the good company of other fine craftsmen.
Word has come back from the construction site yesterday - the stair case is now assembled fully in place (a bit sooner than expected) and is now being primed for paint - along with the rest of the (giant) house.
Photos coming, I hear.

I just noticed the rest of Overkill's question: " ... wondering what the result would be if the lower were tapered in both directions and curved (concave) as the same time, with a curved upper (convex) that matched."
Ah, matching hemispherical dies .... Like the doming dies for Pullmax, that make very consistent-sized bowls for limited production - a few dozen pieces per run, or so?
I've not found nearly any significant gain from "closed dies" as I have from "open dies" .... open dies giving a lot of freedom to shape in various directions in the moment. Buuuut .... This may also be a bad thing when losing physical control of the part .... or otherwise losing mental track of where the shape should be actually going ...?

Yeah, like nobody has ever lost track of which way to go next ???
"Dunno where we are but we're making good time!"

Humor and joy are the best companions to have when lost, confused, or just plain wrong.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.