All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-16-2017, 05:36 PM

Default 1950 Chevy Truck Forward Tilt Hood

Does anyone have experience with converting to a forward tilt hood on the 1950 Chevy Truck body style? Is there a kit available? Can it be done safely and strong?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

No direct experience, only that there was a 40? Ford pick-up street rod local to me converted to a tilt front in true shade tree fashion. Basically, all they did was very minimal trimming for clearance, weld the panels together, hinge the front and cut it loose at the back. Not a good idea.

Lots of repairs had been made around the hinges. It was heavy and without dampening was very scary to handle- both opening and closing. I sure didn't want to work under it.... I expect your truck's front end would be even heavier.

Now, a tilt aluminum front end would be a whole different story and very cool....
Old 02-17-2017, 12:12 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

I've given the hood thing some thought over time and I still like the Cad V16 side-to-side design. Latches on both sides also act as hinges. Release both sides to remove hood. Nice design.

I should think that the forward tilt would be to work up a pair of husky barrel hinges and some reinforcements inside the hood and along the core support to carry the loads. Tons of gas struts to choose from, these days.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:41 AM

Hit your local junkyard and check out mid to late 80's Buick Park Avenue hoods and their hinge systems. They attach forward and the front of the hood lifts up a few inches then the whole thing pulls forward and lifts from the back. It's a great set up and would be easily adaptable to most anything you wanted to make a flip hood one. It's a nice feature to have the front of the hood lift before flipping. Helps with clearance.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 AM

This the concept I would like to use.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...hood-kits.html

Thoughts and concerns I have are the 50 chevy is a tapered hood so positioning of the rods and angles would be a challenge. Also control and weight while trying to open or close it, doesn't seem very stable. I don't want this to be "floppy" during operation. How much reinforcement would I have to add?

I wonder if I should walk away from this conversion?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidmagic View Post
Hit your local junkyard and check out mid to late 80's Buick Park Avenue hoods and their hinge systems. They attach forward and the front of the hood lifts up a few inches then the whole thing pulls forward and lifts from the back. It's a great set up and would be easily adaptable to most anything you wanted to make a flip hood one. It's a nice feature to have the front of the hood lift before flipping. Helps with clearance.
I remember these, thanks. I will look into it.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draxler1374 View Post
This the concept I would like to use.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...hood-kits.html

I wonder if I should walk away from this conversion?

If you are the one who gets to work in the engine bay, consider this. It is rather hard to work in there when you are leaning over the fenders. It is easy when you stand on the bumper and lean over the radiator.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptonZap View Post
If you are the one who gets to work in the engine bay, consider this. It is rather hard to work in there when you are leaning over the fenders. It is easy when you stand on the bumper and lean over the radiator.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe figure out a way to make the hood open more from the rear?

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 02-20-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.murphy View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe figure out a way to make the hood open more from the rear?
I was thinking of this also. I will be the one working on it in the future and will need to make it convenient. These are big fenders to reach over. The customer really wants this but I am still battling the Cool vs Practical decision. UHG!!! What to do, What to do?
Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 PM

Years ago I had to replace a water pump on a Dodge Fargo that had the bonnet welded from 3 Piece to one and was hinged at front, what a ripe pain to work on, ended up pulling the bonnet off, and took another 1hr to line it back up again.
It was not the done the way you posted the F Truck. That would still be a pain..