All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Resources
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-27-2013, 03:53 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default Timothy Barton book #5

I got book #5 today. I expect that a number of folks already got theirs, or the books should be due in shortly.
I have no news on book #6.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:21 PM

Hmmm, I thought he said that no #5s would be shipped singly - all would be shipped with #6?

Maybe because you're a reseller?

Last edited by kjc; 09-27-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Meet Hosts

I was also under the impression that books 5+6 would come together. I was hoping they would be out soon . I am very curios about the chapter on coordinate measurement and draped bodies. Got my fingers crossed!

Andy Geelhoed(guesswork)
Old 09-27-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelhoed View Post
I was also under the impression that books 5+6 would come together. I was hoping they would be out soon . I am very curios about the chapter on coordinate measurement and draped bodies. Got my fingers crossed!

Andy Geelhoed(guesswork)
Tim does more amazing research than any one person I know, or know of. Put him on the scent and he will fetch a trunkload of scattered material, from the factories, on the topic.

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Meet Hosts

Kent, you got book 5 a couple weeks ago. Wonder why the shipment is not coming out? Have you heard anymore ?

Andy Geelhoed(guesswork)
Old 10-15-2013, 08:04 AM

I haven't got mine yet either......
Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelhoed View Post
Kent, you got book 5 a couple weeks ago. Wonder why the shipment is not coming out? Have you heard anymore ?

Andy Geelhoed(guesswork)
No, I'm sorry but I haven't heard a thing. I emailed Timothy a few comments and a question after reading through it but have not heard a word. I am sincerely hoping his health is not the issue...

Old 10-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Here is the latest information on the status of books. This is an email that I just received from Tim. Hope this help.

Timothy Barton

12:38 PM (18 minutes ago)

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the chance to update. I have three retailers who sell the Metalshaping - The Lost Sheet Metal Machine books. Kent White at TM Tech, Ron Fournier at Fournier Enterprises, and Autobooks-Aerobooks in Burbank. I have many requests to sell my books from retailers around the world, but I have chosen only two men who teach seminars, and are metalshapers as well. Kent and Ron were both sent #5 copies as kind of a heads-up about sections of the book that feature them. I wanted them to be ready to respond to customers who might have questions. They are both featured prominently in #5 because some subject matter involves their products and classes in a few chapters.

On the INFORMATION UPDATE page of my website, I have stated that #5 books are in stock but will not be sent until book #6 is in print. Both will be sent together. That has not changed. Book 6 is going off for print at the end of this month. Both 5 and 6 will be shipped when I receive the book 6 prints back next month. Those who have already ordered need do nothing further. As always, customers will get an email when the two books are shipped which will include tracking information. The page count of book 5 and book 6 together is the size of three books!

At several points in the two books I mention challenging subjects that require further discussion by the metalworking websites. One example is the terminology that should be standardized for body bucks and buck forms. This is a long chapter in book #6 with lots of history. Having been a member of the SAE for 20 years, I have taken part in rewriting standardized text at some group events. Having a group hammer out the terminology is helpful. Feedback from metalshapers is requested. We as a group need to standardize our language. I think your metal working readers will enjoy both of these books, and the challenges.

One more point. Books 5 and 6 were completed together due to lots of subject cross-over formatting. To my surprise, the books just kept growing in size! I stopped book #5 at 298 pages. Book 6 is porky as well. A couple of planned chapters were moved up to book 7. As it turns out, there will be a book 8. There was just too much remaining information that I felt needed to be included.

There is an ultra-rare metal shaping book from the 1950's that I have acquired, had scanned and edited, and is just about ready to print. Customers who have ordered book 5 or 6 will get information about this new book in their shipment. Others who have ordered any of our other books should also get a letter with this new info.

Our website www.autofuturist.org will be updated the day we begin shipping 5 and 6 to show that books #1 through #6 NOW SHIP DAILY. New sample pages for books 5 and 6 will be featured. There will be new section previewing books 7 and 8, the 50's-era equipment book, plus the first DVD set. All of this will be listed on the website in time for Christmas. Thanks for the ongoing support.

My best,
Tim Barton

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:33 PM

Very good to hear.
Thank you.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the update Joe, now I can plan for the hit in import duties ..