All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard K View Post
Remember, there are no questions to elementary to ask or no project to simple to post.
This is so important to re-iterate.

Many of the forum members out there who do not post I would have described as "active listeners" back during my high school teaching days. Active listening is a great skill, but it essentially benefits only the listener. If the whole class actively listened (only in a dream) then the entire lesson was a "stand and deliver" monolog by the instructor. Not only boring, but limited in scope.

Everyone benefits from a question that is raised and discussed. Think about it: it gives us all more to (actively) listen to, and it provides another chance to all to voice a response. Maybe your question is just the one that could be expertly answered by another silent lurker, and give him/her a new voice.

Your question could also take a discussion into fresh new territory. I have seen on this and other forums some what I assumed to be "elementary" questions answered by people with insight, experience, and education that far exceed my own and subsequently learned that my own understanding of what was "elementary" was anything but.

I have also seen remarkable questions about "elementary" subjects that raised entirely new ways of looking at what was assumed as gospel.

This is a forum, not a text. Please don't hesitate contribute.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldtoride View Post
...This is a forum, not a text. Please don't hesitate contribute.
Absolutely! And I can absolutely promise you that NO ONE will yell at anyone for asking a 'stupid question'. We don't allow that here. Member involvement is what makes AllMetalShaping work.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:24 PM

Our sheet metal work here is kinda mundane compared to ya'lls stuff.So I end up reading along with the builds.

We roll and fabricate dust collector parts ,repair/fabricate machine bases,and make custom elect bxs.Use hammers to good effect.....but not really in a creative way.Just beat it into submission.Do right much Tig welding....a fair amt of OA work.Hardly ever turn on the Mig.So,comparing that to Aluminum Jag parts(and all the cool auto resto's).....is a little embarrassing,just sayin.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:34 PM

I hear what you are saying, but When I was building bulldozers, I was applying the same techniques to that steel as I did to sheetmetal, and the stuff I learned here I also applied to thin sheet metal like ductwork. How about sharing your experiences and letting us know what you took from here that made your day o day better? something we can all relate to, I am sure.

Please, dont be embarrassed by the fancy looking stuff. We learn from you, too.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:07 PM

Well embarrassing isn't exactly the right word...just didn't know how to put it.

I grew up in a shop....literally.If my dad was still alive he'd be over a hundred.Along with abunch of really old fine craftsman.So,I learned to STFU and listen....which is what I do here.

Will get some pictures up,and try to pass along what I can?
Old 05-01-2014, 06:48 PM

As may already have been noticed, I am quite knowledgeable on Custom Powder Coating. I am a HEAVY contributor on 3 Powder coating forums, and I post help related to powder coating on ANY forum I am a member on (That's several from Toyota Trucks to Scions, to Classic Beetles, and more...)

I too am a Student without much to offer at this point, and few questions that I haven't found either examples of, or answers to so far. There's a HUGE wealth of information on this forum for the novice. I see no reason to muddy any waters yet, with shallow questions that I can search and find answers to.

The Guys that contribute the most are passionate about their craft, and I for one have a HUGE appreciation for that, and would like to thank those folks without calling out names... So... Thanks Guys!

Once I get my Remodel done on my house, I may be more apt to screw things up and need help making metal move the way It needs to move. I've shaped a fwew things, but nothing complex yet. So I will need help eventually. Stick around fellas and don't get discouraged, Richard. We'll all be here learning still, even if we don't say so very often.

Making Waves, and Curves and Shapes.....
Old 05-02-2014, 03:33 AM

a lot of People, like me, is interst on metallshape, some are only interest, some works with Metall, but in the small way and want to learn more, also dont have all the professionality from you pros, and think tha is stupit to Show Little or small work, for me this site is parfekt to see, to get answer on Long-years question´s, to can learn from you and to realise how much People around the world like this metallshaping and all the work around,...

and time will come, new members like me, get a projekt and Show it to all

i try to get all my Tools i Need to start, but in this time´s all Need some time to fix

i am happy to can be here and be allowed to see what you all creates and build with my loved Metall

thanks ,...ernst
Old 05-02-2014, 05:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '14

I think it would be neat if people put up small projects.
Large is when you get a little more confident or if you are stupid like me.

When I post the body I am making that is why I put up the failures because it is real life, I could edit that out but that's not what happened and I am not embarrassed at all .

I have learnt many techniques from just asking, the experienced craftsman don't put some of it up because it is second nature to them so some of the fine detail is left out.
I have come leaps and bounds from posting and getting pointers.

Jim

Last edited by ozi jim; 05-02-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

I began on Metal Meet back years ago with this sculpture project, beat out of .050 1100 aluminum in six pieces and welded together. (It's about 28 inches tall.)

It was my first metal shaping project, as well as my first aluminum welding project, my first metal polishing project, and my first lacquer painting project. Given how little I knew about any of them I still can't believe I pulled it off. I just posted pictures of failures and problems and got answers until finally it was done. I did not wait until I knew something before posting.

I still don't know much but I know a lot more than I did when I started on that sculpture piece.

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com
Old 05-05-2014, 05:24 AM

sorry guys been building a house and working 12 days a week well it feels like it any way but I do log in from time to time
PS glad you wont yell at me Kerry cause I have a bucket load of stupid questions building up
Cheers Gav