All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

View Poll Results: Are you signing up for the contest
Yes, I want to do the beginner project 12 42.86%
Yes, I want to do the intermediate project 14 50.00%
Yes, I want to do the advanced project 2 7.14%
No. I'm not interested. 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleeser View Post
Why does the bike tank have to be made off a buck? Is that what makes it intermediate? Just asking.
Great question Grant. The reason is so that you are making SOMETHING rather than just ART. When you have to match something it's a different level of skill than just making something and deciding it's what you want.

Your buck COULD be a foam and bondo buck that your carve and true surface then make contour guages from, or it could be a bondo buck from an existing tank, or it could be a wooden buck made from your own design....or ??? Got a suggestion for something else just ask. We're flexible as long as the overall goals are met. That goes for other things too.

That is the same reason that we're asking for TWO identical bowls. A one off is art, two identical is skill.

Nothing wrong with ART but it's the additional skill required to build something that IS that we're looking for.

Don't want to make a deuce shell or cycle tank, bowls, or pedal car? Propose something else of equal or greater difficulty and we'll make a decision.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Metalshaper of the Month, May 2010

Well, not to split hairs but art is doing it once. A tank or a sphere has two identical sides.... the tank does 99% of the time anyway.

I do understand your thought process though and I'm not disputing it at all. I was really just wondering why that was a requirement. While a tank is something that requires intermediate skill to make, I think the deuce shell is a much more specific project that would level the field. A specific tank might be a better idea than just a tank.

Sphere- specific
Deuce shell- specific
Pedal car- specific
A bike tank- not very specific

I could likely come up with a tank that I could slice up and make buck patterns to post or mail to whomever wanted to do that project. Just food for thought.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Well a bike tank would be specific if it were made from a buck wouldn't it?

Remember this isn't really a competion. Completion of the project gets you in the drawing. I want folks to do something challenging but I don't need to be a hard ass about it.

I thought about trying to make a buck and tracing the pattern but not being a bike builder it would just be a shape. If you or someone else is willing to do a real design that can be scanned and printed that would be super.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Ok, upon reflection you're right Grant. A cycle tank, being symmetrical, should meet the goals without a buck.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:14 PM

Where can I get a copy for the 32 grill shell buck?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Master Shapers of the AllMetalShaping Universe!

I want to say thank you for this idea. I want to play please.

I would LOVE to attempt the intermediate challenge and build a 32 radiator shell for my first metal shaping attempt, EVER! I actually can use it in my own personal project. Of course, I may need to make a few of them before I get it right, but that's fine with me.

But JPMOSS brings up a good point. How in the heck do I get my hands on a real 32 shell to make my patterns from?

The only alternative that I can imagine, is to carefully use the hundred or so photos of 32 shells I have on my computer, and somehow extract enough data from the photos to create my buck.

Can I enter the contest by building something that is inspired by the 32 shell? But not an exact copy of one?

I bet I can get pretty close, especially if one of our more esteemed street rod fabricators here on the forum would post up some key dimensions. Curves and basic shape I can handle I think from simply blowing up images to full scale. But simple things like width's, height's, and depth's can help me know how far to blow up my images.

Straight-on images like this one from Blake make a HUGE difference when trying to figure out lines and shape:

Sincerly,

David, the lurker who talks big, tries to sound intelligent, but never actually does anything, so he is hoping this contest will FINALLY break that spell..... HA!

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Where to get a grill shell to copy is a really good question. I wish I had a good answer.

I had hoped that it was a much simplier shape than it is. That won't make it that much more difficult to make but will make it much more difficult to pattern. The one I borrowed will alow me to be able to make a bondo buck fairly easily but it will be labor intensitive. This means that making one and shipping it to everyone who wants one won't be possible.

A couple people have told me they have one. I expect that there are a bunch of battered, rusty shells hanging around various shops that could be had cheap. Fiberglas repops are in the $150 range.

I can take a bunch of photos with size references so folks can build a '32 Ford like' thing. For the purposes of the contest, that would be fine. Alternatively, a couple, three folks could go together and buy a repro one, use it to make their shells and sell it when they're done?

Anyone that wants to come to my shop can use the buck I'm making. I'll see if there is any way to make an inexpensive mold that could be shipped around.

James Bowler's suggestion of allowing folks to use other things is a good one. If you can't come up with a Deuce shell but have something of similar complexity, propose that as an alternative. We're flexible. We just want something challenging for the intermediate project.

I'm open to suggestion.

Also I've had some door prize offers already. If you're interested in offering something, send me a PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:03 PM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

Default 32 grill shell

Or a 3D model could be used to generate the pieces for the buck. Here's a link to one done in 3D studio. It has to be purchased, but is a lot less than a repop. This site has complete 32 fords, 33 fords, cobras, vettes, chassis, a couple pedal cars and lots more. You have to shop carefully and have a way to convert the file type to something you can use. The site says file conversion is available.

The test says it's also available in dxf, but I'm not sure what good that would be without seeing it. Generally dxf is 2D only. Much like a dwg file.

The thing about a 3D model is it can be scaled or changed to suit the interested party. Sadly, there wasn't a model of the car I'm wanting to build, so I'm on my own there.

Bob
Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 PM

[/IMG]

What about a model T cowl? I could get the general dimentions posted tonight. Then everyone interested could build a buck, and get our metal shaping contest started. i.e. every man for himself. Maybe have another contest later that built more of the same car. Just a suggestion. Thanks Johnny

Last edited by JPMOSS; 05-19-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:12 PM

JPMOSS,

I know a guy here in Fort Collins that has a 26-27 Model T roadster. It's an original all steel car. I might be able to get more dimensions for the rest of the body.

I'm not 100% sure though how you go about asking a person who has put a ton of energy in a car, permission to crawl all over it. "Hey, can I crawl all over your car with a tape measure, and make cardboard curve patters of the body?"

I must admit, doesn't feel comfortable to me. Maybe a bunch of dead on side, front, rear and top photographs. Then some simple dimensions to scale up the photos.

I think building a 26-27 Model T body would be pretty cool.

David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.