All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Check the previous post for the exchange parings.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

One last bump so everyone sees the pairings.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:32 PM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

I got my package the day before Christmas from Tom Keen. Got a couple things I can use once I get back to actually shaping some metal. These will certainly come in handy in my shop.

First is Tom's version of a tuck puck and second is a dolly for doing wire edging. Didn't have either and can use both. Very nice indeed, he must be a machinist. I hope he finds my gift to him as handy.
IMG_0072.jpgIMG_0073.jpg
Old 12-27-2010, 08:59 AM

What is all of the wrinkled material at the top of the TuckPuck® knock-off? A wrapper?
Made of steel or plastic? I am not knowing what to think here. I knew that guys were making their own but.....
Am I wrong here to be a little concerned?

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 12-27-2010, 10:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

Looks like recycled Delrin. Sometimes the surface has a sort of marbled look.
I'd be concerned if someone else was selling these. This one was given as a gift. Probably best to see it as flattery.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM

Bob: I am probably being over-sensitive. Sales of these things is basically my only source of walking around/ebay money. Fixed SS income that I never see. I had some Christmas time buyers but for the most part I sometimes go several months without a sale. I am sure that there are many more of these out there than what I have sold. That was to be expected.
Tom: Nice job on the wire edge tool. I am a machinist (among a lot of other things) and I see a good bit of work there. I hope that my concern about the other tool is unfounded.

www.tuckpuck.com

Last edited by mr.c; 12-27-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:05 AM

Carey,
I had the puck mailed before the thread saying that you had a trademark was posted. I am very sorry!!!!!!!! I have not and will not make them to sell. I made Bob a couple of tools that I had seen on the site for the gift exchange. I knew when that thread was posted that there would probably be some hard feelings and believe me none were intended. The material is nylatron to answer one of your questions.The mottleing is in the material it is a filled nylon.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:17 AM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

Carey,

It's made of nylatron or something like that. I'd seen one or two of your tuck pucks at Keith's Missouri meet a few years ago, but don't really recall exactly how it was made. Short memory! This one is conical.

I have some delrin drops I picked up in Oklahoma back 6 or 7 years ago at a meet held by the guy who was making ewheel wheels and anvils. Gene something or other, where I first met John Brown and Kerry Pinkerton. A couple of them were shaped kind of like the tuck pucks about 4 inches in diameter and I have used them since for stretching metal. Even cut a round recess in my second stump to hold them. Never had one with a conical depression though, so it'll be interesting to see how that works or if there's any difference.

Need to go back to work on one of my projects to get back into metal shaping. I've been trying to learn how to become a quasi machinist since this time last year. Long way from being either a machinist or metal shaper though. Making scrap in the machining world is way more expensive than making scrap in the metal shaping world so it would be a cost saving switch.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 AM

Bob: Those were a couple that I sent to Keith for his RebelMeet a few years back. They were/are conical.
Tom: Please don't be troubled. I guess that I am being a bit overly protective and felt that to many it may be perceived that I am selling these things like hotcakes. That has not been the case. Guys that are clever enough to do the things that we do can make these and other tools without a lot of difficulty. I tried to price them low enough that it would just be easier to buy one from me than make it yourself. That has always been the plan. Patents are just too expensive and I would have lost tens of thousands of dollars and would still be in debt. I dropped my prices along with the economy last year. Of course materials costs and website costs have stayed the same or increased.
These little guys do work great ,don't they? I am trying to save up for a new computer capable of editing the High Definition content from my camcorder and will be putting some revised instructional videos up on YouTube. The current ones have some misinformation. I have learned a good bit more about my own product and it's capabilities since I shot the series that is on there now. Again, I am not mad at anyone here.

www.tuckpuck.com

Last edited by mr.c; 12-27-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Carey, yes they do work great. I had made 3 similar items probably 20 plus years ago to set bowling balls in to work on them. When I saw these on the site, I drug one out and started using it to shape metal I have a stump also and they both have benefits. I like the conical depression, my stump is spherical which makes it limited. I am very relieved that I hopefully haven't made an enemy. I know that you had to put some money out which will be difficult to recoup.