All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-28-2011, 07:43 PM

52" Enco slip roll, 16 ga cap, I just finshed powering it. I also toughened up the gearbox and a couple of shafts that had overhung gears, now they are supported on both ends of the shaft. Also, the rh roll adjuster block was better than 1/2" too thick not allowing the roll to go down far enough. Straaaaange...

slip roll.jpg

sorry about the poor pic. that way you cant see my redneck engineered motor mount. which will likely change anyhow.

The part in front of it is 24" wide 12 ga (.1046) and quickly rolled to an approximate 8" radius. 1/2 turn each time on the back roll, in the middle of the rolls. The gearbox worked but didnt strain. 1725 rpm 1/2 hp motor mated to a 60:1 gearbox then 1:1 to the crank handle. I couldnt even DREAM of doing this (or any other, the handle will soon go to the scrap pile) part without power. Or at the very least without a large diameter handwheel.

Marty
Old 10-28-2015, 01:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2015

Default Powering up details

10-28-15

A little old thread but I have the same slip roller and
might like to power it up.

It looks like the ½ HP 1725RPM motor is mounted vertical with
the shaft pointed up. Then coupled to a right angle gear
reduction box ( 60 to 1 ). It must have used a motor shaft connector or Lovejoy coupling.
The pic shows a gearbox output shaft pointing away from the roller.
I would think it best toward the roller but maybe it has dual output shafts.
There is a gear where the crank handle would be so maybe its powered by gears meshing and not a chain?

The 1725 RPM motor divided by 60 gives about 28RPM.
The specs I checked on some slip roll manufacturers say about 22RPM.

So 28 RPM is close enough for me. And with that I guess you use equal dia and tooth.
numbered chain sprockets. The gear box I was looking at is 60 to 1 rated for..60 HP
It also has a 5/8 dia input shaft and a 1” dia out put shaft.

The Enco roller has a 32MM or close to 1-1/4 shaft that the crank handle goes over.
I can look for more matching components or just adapt.

Anyone have the manufacturer or specs on the gearbox/ motor combinations that mount horizontal and go through the roller base left side.

I am interested because not only would the power addition to the slip roller be nice.
I would like to move it as a power pack to use on the Harbor freight pipe roller.
The one that has three rollers And Swag off road makes upgraded parts for it.

If Marty rolled 12 gage with the HP output of the above you might even be able to take the right side off, remove the three 4 ft , 3” dia rolls
Then move that right side over about 12” away from the left side.
In the 12” space put the 3 rollers you will make up to have a fender rolling machine

Anybody see the above as being undoable?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 12-20-2015, 11:22 AM

Default tread mill motor

Have you looked at using a treadmill motor, variable speed 1 1/2 or 2 Hp and high torque at slower speeds. Lots of info and youtubes. I was talking to a friend who is into gold minimg about powering my HF tube roller. and he grabbed a tread mill from craigs list for $ 30, and is powering a gold-gravel classifer with it. A reversing switch is supposed to be easy to wire in.
here; a link to part one of 2 youtubes , lots more info youtubes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z39exjbHzag

Last edited by timothale; 12-20-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:07 PM

Hey Tim,

Here's how I did a treadmill motor on a bead roller. Tom Teverity added some real clean and nice ways to do it at the end of the post. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8645
Old 12-20-2015, 01:47 PM

Default thanks,

I have to do some work on the tube roller, Like most HF things, allen screws striped out I need to use a gear puller to get it apart. It will be a while untill I need to use it, So I'll watch for another cheap or free one.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:53 PM

Default back to the slip roller.

I have a bunch of solid steel rollers that were spare parts from my brother;s newspaper size printing press company. I saw a how to build a slip roller and have a pile of old farm machinery I scrounge bar, angle and flat stock when I need something.
shop built roller
http://www.mytractorforum.com/43-too...al-roller.html