All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-14-2018, 07:18 AM

Default Buck Plans

This seems unlikely, but is there a source for buck plans that I'm unaware of?

I was reading a metalwork book recently (I can't remember which one, but can figure that out if it's important to anyone) and in one of the chapters on a home built Cobra Daytona there was a statement that said the owner built the buck from plans he purchased. Wow, really?

I know I saw a place in the UK that specialized in scanning original cars and then developing bucks from that. But that seems like an expensive one-off process. It would be kind of cool if there was a place that had ready-made buck plans.

I guess really it's about "who has accurate 3D models of cars" because given that it's not difficult to build buck stations. In Solidworks you can set up a series of cross-section views several different ways. I did that for a couple of motorcycle gas tanks I built. There used to be an app called "123D Make" that could take a solid model and generate stations. (interestingly, part of it's appeal was it could also generate layers that your could cut out and stack up to make a part by blending the layers after stacking them). There is an add in to Fusion360 that does them same thing as this.

So, has anyone else gone down this path? I've been thinking a lot about building a hot rod body from scratch. It would be neat to short cut the process of tracking down an original body to build a buck from.

I know there are some models on GrabCad (although most of the styles I'm interested in aren't well enough developed to actually be helpful for this -- they are kind of flat and don't really resemble the original car to begin with). But maybe that would be good enough for en experiment.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:26 AM

If you were reading one of Bill Longyard's books. Bill did a chapter in his book on my build. The Plans were tracings you cut out and taped together for half of the station of the buck then flipped over for the other half. The buck stations took a fair amount of work to get things to aline and flow. In the end I don't know how close the buck is to any of the original 6 cars. They were all different. Mine ended up as my view of how it should have looked.

Mark
Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastuart View Post
If you were reading one of Bill Longyard's books. Bill did a chapter in his book on my build. The Plans were tracings you cut out and taped together for half of the station of the buck then flipped over for the other half. The buck stations took a fair amount of work to get things to aline and flow. In the end I don't know how close the buck is to any of the original 6 cars. They were all different. Mine ended up as my view of how it should have looked.

Mark
Thanks Mark - that's the one. Where did you source the drawings? Do they have other vehicles or was that a one-off thing?

I hear what you're saying - I wouldn't expect that you could get something perfect right from the start with this approach without a huge investment in R&D on the original model.

My thinking is that it would be a good way to get the size/scale and general proportions as a starting point to further develop the buck. Just that would be useful.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:58 AM

Kent White has a set of plans for a cobra buck. It is not on his web site. Call and ask for them.

Randy
Old 07-14-2018, 10:35 AM

I will see if I can find a link for you. It is the only buck plans he has. He got access to an original that Kent was restoring years ago. Do a search for Chuck Lindquist cobra.

Last edited by mastuart; 07-14-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:56 AM

Thanks - although I'm not specifically looking for a cobra buck (this week - I've certainly wanted to build one many times!). This was more a general question, like "is there a cool-car-buck-plans.com site I was somehow unaware of?

And if not, why not?
Old 07-14-2018, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcglynn View Post
...And if not, why not?

Not saying that you or anyone here would but if I were in the business, I'd be VERY careful not to let my intellectual property get loose. Once someone posts a copy of the plans they purchased, all that work and potential revenue is over and gone.

I don't know how to enforce a single use copy type of thing other than lawsuits after the fact but that only makes the lawyers wealthy. I expect the guy in England (was active here for a while) tries to recover all his costs in the first set of plans or data. Actually, iirc, what he wants to do is sell you a complete buck kit, all waterjet out and shipped to your door. That's about the only way to maintain control.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:36 PM

Hi Kerry - Yeah, I'm well aware of this issue. It's too bad. If you only sell paper plans it's probably safer, but people are pretty unscrupulous. I had a company making unique chopper parts for a while and had several people directly rip off my designs. That was such a drag.

Just for fun, I modeled a nose and grill shell for a hot hod just now:

I don't have a lot of experience with lofting shapes like this, so it took some screwing around to get to a shape I liked, then I got carried away and made a grill for it.

Then I exported just the nose itself as a STL solid (not a thin shell with an opening for the grill like the rendering). I copied it to my mac and used "slicer for Fusion360" to generate a buck, then exported full scale plans.

I could see that working to get to a starting point, assuming you had a decent CAD model to start with. Kinkos can print 36" drawings on a roll printer. Or I guess you could have the stations laser cut.

Anyway, enough screwing around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nose2.jpg (82.8 KB, 2751 views)
File Type: jpg slicer.jpg (61.8 KB, 2943 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NoseBuck.pdf (42.1 KB, 275 views)
Old 07-16-2018, 05:57 PM

If you are looking for a data cloud of most any car you could try Hum3d.com
I bought some data bases from them which I have yet to use.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

i agree with mark, i got a blueprint file for my 356 to make a front buck, jeffer (jeffry) did the modelling, he then checked it against an original car that was close to him and it was way off! way to narrow but he sorted it out