All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Metalshaping videos on-line
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-20-2013, 05:51 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

To have a flexible shape pattern you've first got to have a three-dimensional part, even if it is only made of Bondo. However, IF you do have an FSP it is much easier to shape the metal to fit "into" the FSP than it is to shape metal to fit "over" a solid buck. The reason is accessibility. An FSP allows 100% easy visual and tactile accessibility whereas other types of bucks allow much less.

Any yes, any good English wheeler will tell you go with the lowest crowned anvil that will possibly work. If you're making furrows you're probably TWO anvils too rounded for what you need. More passes, more overlap... the keys to the "chrome" finish that Wray, or any good wheeler, achieves.

Though the videos are good, I strongly recommend his classes. There are many good classes available in the U.S., but Wray's is the only one that I know of that gives you the necessary TIME to really hone your skills by trying, failing, and trying again. You work with him from 9am til midnight three days in a row... that's 45 HOURS of "hands on" instruction. I've found it enormously helpful. Another thing... he's got enough machines so that you don't have to wait your turn even when the classes are full.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
In one of the other videos he shows how a buck will not show you the correct amount to shrink or stretch or the precise location. ...When you go for a fit on a buck it is not always obvious how much shrink or stretch is required. With the FSP it is obvious. ...
EXACTLY SO!

Basically, the FSP is like having a pro beside you telling you to stretch more here and shrink more there, etc. It tells you EVERYTHING you need except the arrangement. For that you need some type of hard buck.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I just finished watching the whole video. WOW is right. That is a master class by a master shaper. Back when Wray founded MetalMeet and I was on the Board of Directors, I spent a good bit of time talking to him and reading everything he wrote. Without question, the state of the metal shaping community today is much advanced because of the sharing of techniques and ideas that Wray freely gave.

Probably half of what I know about metal shaping came back to what I directly learned from Wray of learned from people who learned it from Wray.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:49 PM

I owe a lot of what I know to Wray and unfortunately a lot of what I've forgot Bill