All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-29-2018, 06:14 AM

Default aluminum bumper fabrication

I've spent the last couple weeks working on designing/building a bumper for the widebody MR2 I'm building. I've still got lots of hand planishing and metalfinishing to do, but I had to jump on another project. Name:  IMG_7020.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7306.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7345.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7447.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7448.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7449.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7450.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  81.3 KB.
P.S. I'm struggling to find a half round body file that is curved from front to back for working in these reverse curves. If any of you guys have suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_yocum View Post
...I'm struggling to find a half round body file that is curved from front to back for working in these reverse curves. If any of you guys have suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Sounds like you are looking for a bullnose vixen file. Second row from the top, left hand side.

They show up on Ebay from time to time. I have several but they have different tooth counts so I don't have any spares. Another useful one is the same row on the right. It's a rocker but with a curved face.

This thread shows my collection.

http://allmetalshaping.com/showthrea...=Bullnose+file

I've used most all of them on the art deco roadster at one time or another.

Beautiful work on the bumper.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Very nice work Kyle!
Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Looks really nice Kyle!

Do you mean a file that has a convex shape the narrow way and a concave from end to end?
If so I have never seen one.
That is a tricky shape to file.
I have used a straight half round on a low crown reverse, by extending my fingers below the file to support and stabilize the ends of the file.
Option 2
Use a flexible file and holder, set it to approx shape of reverse. Carefully just use the edge to find the high and low spots.

Not a file, but a wood sanding block made to match the shape, and sticky back abrasive.

Steve
Old 06-29-2018, 01:38 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
P.S. I'm struggling to find a half round body file that is curved from front to back for working in these reverse curves. If any of you guys have suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Kyle you do very nice work.
Those old body files you are looking for came in different sizes and tooth patterns, but are non-existant new today. Used - find them on ebay, but be ready to re-sharpen them, and NOT in battery acid !!!

Anyway, take a look at the curved double ender, file/rasp, down the list here:
http://www.tinmantech.com/products/h...les-and-rasps/
It is the only thing I have found available today that is good quality, in my world-wide search for metal files. The file end is usable, although a bit coarse, but I would not use the rasp end on aluminum sheet, anyway.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:12 AM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2021

Name:  179.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  65.0 KB
These files are still available brand new. 9t per inch
Old 07-13-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I've spent the last couple weeks working on designing/building a bumper for the widebody MR2 I'm building. I've still got lots of hand planishing and metalfinishing to do, but I had to jump on another project.

Kyle,

Two things.

First, wow. I'm really impressed with your work. Great design and first class work. Really, really cool and inspirational man.

Second, on the file: If you can source a flat, curved face file you can make this yourself. I made this one out of a brand new curved tooth flat faced, flat file maybe 20 years ago. A curved face file should work as well. I made a simple fixture out of 1/8" x 1" flat steel bent to the shape I wanted, welded to a small piece of flat stock. I made it with a tab at one end of the bend to hook the end of the file into. Then I heated the file in a small gas forge (you could use a gas torch probably) until it was a dull red, put one end in the tab and bent the file to shape. I let the file cool slowly in a pan of ash, then re-heated it to a dull red and quenched it in ATF to re-harden it. You should do some temper cycle to relieve some of the stress from quenching...I don't accurately remember if I did that (I do for knives I've made).

I also made a pattern for the handle. Once you find the source for the files the rest is pretty simple. And after making the fixture and handle pattern you can make a bunch as stocking stuffers. Make sure the files aren't case hardened, that probably won't work when you go to re-harden them. Ideally you want to find files that have screw holes, not a tang. But, after annealing you can grind off the tang and drill screw holes if need be.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2029.jpg (65.6 KB, 970 views)