All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87hdrush View Post
Don't get me on the made in china rant again
I contend that all these fake parts from off shore is half the reason the American economy is in the toilet . My friend that owns a motorcycle shop says the only thing Americans know how to make anymore is a reservation . As more and more American manufacturing businesses close or move out of the country it becomes truer every day . The worst thing is no one is obligated to reveal the country of origin of items on internet sales and also the parts repair persons use to repair your car, dish washer or whatever. After you get stung once or twice with fake parts and or items failing prematurely you would pay extra for quality but you don’t even know what the hell you are getting. Think about this one, we are 800 Billion dollars in debt to China now and I would be willing to bet you half of their products if not more is clogging up our land fills . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 AM

oh god, here we go on the "political american prouducts are the bestest" rants...

Gary, I do not know of any companies that specialize in such things, but Dad has some contacts that may help you. Most of the time, we have "lucked" across our equipment from auctions, or keeping our ear to the ground. I will see if he can dig up anything for you.

Marty
Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

John, I believe most of us agree with you but let's not go down that path. Stick to the subject at hand please.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
John, I believe most of us agree with you but let's not go down that path. Stick to the subject at hand please.
SORRY for getting way too political . However I believe there are 2 reasons the USA has more metal shapers than any other country. #1 a strong middle class (now diminishing) that can afford our skills. #2 a strong manufacturing base (also diminishing) that makes available to our trade a supply of used older quality machinery that in most cases we wouldn’t be able to afford new. Looking at the big picture it’s certainly related to metal shaping (its very existence) and Gary now knows what I think about buying Chinese land fill tools from Harbor Fright. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 03-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Yeah John, we get it. We just don't want to turn this into that kind of forum.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 AM

OK I'll answer the question rather than trash import tools. What you're giving up is good design. BUT It's not a lost cause as Kerry can tell you. the HF bead roller can be "beefed up" to be a good usable tool. The HF E-wheel ( full radius anvils, weak frame) Will get you started wheeling(maby) and you can use the anvils when you build a stronger frame. (I did) I've seen a throatless shear ( Two Guys Garage?) that looks like a good deal.
Do your homework, ask if anyone has used what you want to buy. We all wish we could buy top quality tools but they are EXPENSIVE and if you're just getting started that can be discouraging.
Like I've said before about 5% of my tools are cheap import stuff, the one thing I would avoid are their cast iron products, they are very weak.
I've seen a lot of people use the import products with sucess on this site and others. Take a look around and see what's working for others, it will probably work for you too.
PS I have never used the HF Ewheel I just bought the anvils so I don't know if the frame is usable...anyone else used one?