All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Business Classifieds
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Bolster = ???
Old 05-19-2009, 01:28 PM

Kerry, a Bolster is a wide flat chisel.

Could also be used for cutting bricks / building work.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Ah, Thanks Jon. I actually have one... modified a brick chisel. Btw, welcome to AllMetalShaping...
Old 05-19-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Ah, Thanks Jon. I actually have one... modified a brick chisel. Btw, welcome to AllMetalShaping...
Thanks Kerry, been here a while, just got round to posting. The site is looking good and has a friendly atmosphere.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:55 AM

I welded last night for the first time with Oxy/Ac and I have to say I'm impressed. The metal flowed together really nice and its a very beautiful weld. Looks like my tig welding. I will say though I get less hazz when Tig welding but that may be my inexperienced when adding filler rod. When not using filler rod it still seems to put more heat in it but still a very useful skill!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@whiterhino View Post
I welded last night for the first time with Oxy/Ac and I have to say I'm impressed. The metal flowed together really nice and its a very beautiful weld. Looks like my tig welding. I will say though I get less hazz when Tig welding but that may be my inexperienced when adding filler rod. When not using filler rod it still seems to put more heat in it but still a very useful skill!
This is something I would like to learn. David makes it look easy doesn't he? David says the wider HAZ zone is not a problem because the heat band is so even with gas. It all makes sense when he explained it. I just have to start practicing it. Up till now I have been mig welding all my sheet metal patches. Sometimes I do it real nice and other times I stink at it. The welds are hard and difficult to planish. The gas welding results David has are very nice though.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:43 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Thanks Paul and Chris, I am sure you will find that by using gas welding in the way I show you will save a lot of time. As I say on the DVD for steel tig can be used without filler rod which is what Contour Autocraft teach and you get a slightly narrower heatband (HAZ) but the difference in distortion is minimal. With tig the steel has to be almost perfect I have found whereas gas is more forgiving. For aluminium gas is far superior once you master it because it is a lot faster and you do not have so much grinding to do if any.

All things are possible.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:56 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
With tig the steel has to be almost perfect I have found whereas gas is more forgiving.
Are you refering to the condition of the metal David? I have had a little trouble TIG welding on older material. I have a 32 Austin 7 that I really struggled with (although that was a number of years ago - hopefully my skills have improved since)

BTW I have mentioned your DVD on 4 local car forums - hopefully you'll be getting a few more orders from SA

Barry
Old 06-02-2009, 12:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Are you refering to the condition of the metal David? I have had a little trouble TIG welding on older material. I have a 32 Austin 7 that I really struggled with (although that was a number of years ago - hopefully my skills have improved since)

BTW I have mentioned your DVD on 4 local car forums - hopefully you'll be getting a few more orders from SA

Barry
Hi Barry, yes if the metal is old and not in such good condition then gas will cope with welding it better than tig I have found.

Thanks very much for the mentions! I am glad you liked it enough to recommend it.

All things are possible.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
I am glad you liked it enough to recommend it.
David, of all the books, DVD's etc I have seen it is by far the best overall package of info. It should be required viewing for anyone attempting sheet metal repair.
Given what I see over here as the average standard of body "restoration" they could recoup the cost of the disc just in the bondo they will save