All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-16-2014, 12:49 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

I welcome any questions about the build of this buck and hope that any ensuing information can enlighten anybody considering a similar project. I believe there any many people out there that don't know how to start the process. Not knowing where to start creates doubt and shelves too many dreams.

Thank you, for your interest.

Last edited by Mike Motage; 01-16-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Mike, I'm in Waffle House after 1850 miles, black cat on trailer outside.Thanks for the shovel.
LOVE the buck. Our similar backgrounds make it very appealing to me. If others cant hear the music, they think the dancer is mad.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Mike, take a look at the buck in this video. I am certain that as soon as they learn to make a buck that is not like yours they will amount to something.. Clearly they need to learn how to make a more efficient buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51eXvmL8bZY

I sent a day with Mike earlier this year and would be comfortable saying that he is a very capable young man. He only lives about an hour from you. Mike also use a FULL and SOLID full body buck for some Porsche's that he is making several of. Mikes opinion of buck design may differ from some of us here on this site.

I am seeing Pers' viewpoint as well. By making additional pieces, it gives you a clearer understanding of the flow before you actually start on the forming of the panels, and as I learned from my only moderate bucks, the more stations that are there you take fewer shortcuts in the forming and you have the stability to gently use the hammer to make some of the finish forming. I found that strategic locations of the stations worked well for holding the panels in alignment for welding as well. On a buck of this size, it would be my thinking that to get around or inside to look at the fit from the back side would always require another person to hold the panel while you looked.

I would add that my perspective is from a part-time/amateur/hobby viewpoint, so a 'money-making' guy may have a different perspective.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:01 PM

If I were to build this buck again, realizing that I alone would shaping the sheet metal, I would have fewer stations 4-6" spacing would have easily sufficed. But as I said I was building it to friends demands. My friend is retired from Roush as well and has at least 4 entire bodies that I am aware of and P-51 repairs also. So I have a lot of respect for him and his opinions. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to help, a customer with 3 old.Maseratis and a much larger wallet has got between us.

Style.wise, I like the rib buck as opposed to an eggcrate. Building a second very long bridge to measure for for/aft dimensions, templates and longitudinal stations would be difficult for a 1 man to accomplish.

Last edited by Mike Motage; 02-05-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2019

Hired in a Faro 3D laser scanner once. It shot 44 million points in 10 minutes and turned out a 3D CAD model in no time flat that could be sliced and diced in AutoCAD. That way you can laser out a minimum number of formers and if you need some extra ones to fill in the blanks you can make those later but starting with only a few at least you can get on the back to see what's what. If it gets away from you, you can always increase the resolution of your tooling to suit the level of panic.

Will

William Pointer
Old 12-19-2014, 10:14 PM

I am curious about hiring in a scanner, turning auto cad and laser cutting stations. What is the cost? Do you still have the trouble of setting heights and squaring?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:29 AM

I am hoping to keep this thread active with all potential methods for build bucks. From simple to complex, time, costs and equipment required.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:59 PM

Can't remember what the cost was but it wasn't expensive. The laser just sits on a tripod and measures an angle, elevation and reflectivity of millions of points and that data can be pulled into a model and manipulated like any other CAD model. It's great if you have a good side and a bad side because you can scan the good side and mirror it to the other.

William Pointer
Old 12-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Meet Hosts

Default Good progress

Mike , Glad to see your progress since you came to my event last spring! Looks like your skills are improving quickly. This thread about buck building is wonderful and will hopefully be helpful to many. Keep plugging along and hope to see you again soon.
Andy Geelhoed (guesswork)
Old 12-22-2014, 12:06 PM

Something you might find useful with your buck - not sure if everyone does this - is to put a row of big holes in the formers, big enough to get your hand through whilst holding a dolly.

William Pointer