All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-08-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
I wrote up a little booklet a few years ago on how to acquire a stump and set it up. I recommend calling the Arbor services, firewood guys, City Works dept, Parks Dept, Forestry people, etc. Pine is a last choice, although I've gotten by with cottonwood, fir, etc. I now have a madrone stump that I set in an oil drain pan for a few days, letting the butts soak up a couple gallons of boiled linseed oil. And this stump has checked far less than any other over the last 40 years.

I used my first stump - pine - to make this 300 America rear bumper center section, in 1974.
Attachment 36767
I was in my 2nd year apprenticeship at HAC, and used the stump, a body hammer, a track dolly and slapper, and a 9inch Milw. sidewinder w/80grit to make the two halves. I gas welded the seam and finished it off with 120 grit, cutting my own 9inch circles and punching out the centers to fit my body grinder. The owner was very pleased with the fit and finish, and I was off on a long career doing Ferrari body/frame reconstructions.

Find a strong part of your apartment floor to set the stump on ....
Any chance of getting a copy of that booklet. Beautiful bumper buy the way...GM

Check my Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/george.murdoch.73
Old 03-08-2016, 06:01 PM

George; If you are not in a big hurry, I might be able to help with the problem that seems to be "stumping" you right now. I have an acquaintance who has been cleaning up City of Toronto trees felled in the big ice storm as few years back. He has a yard full of dried hardwood logs. I will ask him for a length for you if you like. If you can wait until the Hogtown Meet, I can get a rough measurement of your arm / hammer hit point so he can cut the stump for you unless you have a chainsaw of your own. You'd be surprised of the weight of even a dried 3' length of hardwood. But then again, you don't want one too light, you'll be chasing it all over your living room.
Barry
Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry grigg View Post
George; If you are not in a big hurry, I might be able to help with the problem that seems to be "stumping" you right now. I have an acquaintance who has been cleaning up City of Toronto trees felled in the big ice storm as few years back. He has a yard full of dried hardwood logs. I will ask him for a length for you if you like. If you can wait until the Hogtown Meet, I can get a rough measurement of your arm / hammer hit point so he can cut the stump for you unless you have a chainsaw of your own. You'd be surprised of the weight of even a dried 3' length of hardwood. But then again, you don't want one too light, you'll be chasing it all over your living room.
Barry
Hell yeah I can wait and thanks. I'm curious to the length of my arm, the measuremental of my arm from arm pit to wrist is 21 inches. Is there a choice of stump diameter because I was thinking 15 - 18 inch...GM
Is there a price for this?

Check my Facebook

Last edited by Murdoch; 03-08-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:42 PM

i bought a used butchers block on ebay which is walnut and cherry and is 24"x24"x12" thick that works great and looks beautiful also i hope you dont have an upstairs apt. i wouldnt want to live below you

Last edited by ed l; 03-08-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed l View Post
i bought a used butchers block on ebay which is walnut and cherry and is 24"x24"x12" thick that works great and looks beautiful also i hope you dont have an upstairs apt. i wouldnt want to live below you
Hehehe there is a garage below me...GM

Check my Facebook
Old 03-08-2016, 10:30 PM

George;
If he charges for the length of log, it will be minimal. I'll check with him before the Hogtown meet. I find that if the stump is to high or to low, it wears out your arm quickly when using the stump for an extended period of time. Everybody is different. There will be guys at the meet who will know more than I, but you'll be off to a good start.

Barry
Old 03-08-2016, 10:34 PM

In this video Wray Schelin shows his 'Home Depot' stump made from laminated lumber.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=barry grigg;123590]George;
If he charges for the length of log, it will be minimal. I'll check with him before the Hogtown meet. I find that if the stump is to high or to low, it wears out your arm quickly when using the stump for an extended period of time. Everybody is different. There will be guys at the meet who will know more than I, but you'll be off to a good start.

Barry[/QUOTE
That would be great Barry, then I'll know how much to bring. I figured it will be hard on the arms and shoulders.
List of injuries: tendonitis, carpal, arthritis and don't forget tennis elbow with a side order of torn muscle tissue.
Remedy: Passion and desire to create and learn with a dose of spite to those who have said I can't. Haters make you famous hehehe. Very excited to to attend and learn, meet folks that share the same interests...GM

Check my Facebook
Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead View Post
In this video Wray Schelin shows his 'Home Depot' stump made from laminated lumber.
That's a great video. I'll watch more when I get home and thanks for the link...GM

Check my Facebook
Old 03-10-2016, 09:35 AM

This is only an example of what I would like to do. I am making a redesign of the pics in aluminum...GM

Check my Facebook