All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-10-2019, 12:14 PM

Default Eckold GL2, anybody use one?

I'm thinking about buying one of these and don't know of anybody that has one. The videos show them using it on aluminum and I'm wondering how it'd work on steel.
Anybody here have one?
Old 04-10-2019, 04:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct. 2018

Hi i have one and really like it lots of adjustment for shaping or smoothing.But i no nothing about air hammers its the only one i have used but i do like the fact i can use it any where no frames in the way.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:14 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

I used a similar tool called a "palm nailer" some dozen years ago. With a leather hand cushion, an air control, and some good tooling it went along pretty well. I imagined then that someone could "nice" one out and then sell a good number of them.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
I used a similar tool called a "palm nailer" some dozen years ago. With a leather hand cushion, an air control, and some good tooling it went along pretty well. I imagined then that someone could "nice" one out and then sell a good number of them.
Similar tool ? Only if you consider they both have an air fitting .
As usual with Eckold a very well thought out tool. Very nice finger control that you can tamp down to single hits or faster for a planishing effect . The palm nailer is controlled by impact with the piece you are working on. So you line up your dolly and make contact on the outer of panel and making sure you have a padded pair of gloves. These are recommended by 9 out of 10 Hand surgeons I would bet.
I had one and found them too violent and not controllable . The Eckold on the other hand is a very nice controllable unit that you can adapt other dies to such as Delrin for smooth operation
Old 04-12-2019, 02:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Lessee:
finger button - check.
soft rubber palm cap - check
wide variety of tooling, including polymers, leather, etc. - check
complete air control - check
1.0lb weight - check

the color was a nasty harsh cheap silver - not a soft Swiss blue.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:50 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2020. October 2023

I thought I would try the palm nailer as a planishing hammer, so I took advantage of the 20% off coupon at HF and picked up the mini for $19.
I tried to thread the sleeve, but it was made from a mean non magnetic stainless, so I turned up a tool steel sleeve in case I needed to harden it and threaded it 7/16-20. I turned and threaded a 1" anvil with a relief at the end in case it started to mushroom.

IMG_20190419_141635.jpg

IMG_20190419_141749.jpg

The tool is rated at 100psi, but hits much too hard for metal work. I backed it off to 20 psi and had good control. Since it acts with pushing to trigger the piston, it deliver single blows or with increasing frequency by varying the pressure applied. I had thought about the foot clipper valve I use on the planishing hammer frame I made, but don't think it is needed. Maybe just an inline regulator to adjust for conditions.
I flattened one of my test pieces and then shaped it over the horn of the anvil and also domed a piece from my thumbnail die test. It was not at all uncomfortable to hold even without gloves. Most of the marks were from the original bead roller or hammer shaping, but some softer anvils might be in order.

IMG_20190419_140452.jpg

IMG_20190419_141439.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190419_141549.jpg (67.1 KB, 10 views)