All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-20-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Attaching Roof Sheet metal to Roll Cage

Hi all,
I'm soon going to be working on forming and attaching the roof sheet metal to the roll cage on the All Terrain Track Chair project.
Here's a link to pics of it:
http://kustomsbykent.com/all-terrain-track-chair-attc/

The question I have for you guys...
Should the sheet metal be welded directly to the roll cage, or use some means of tabs and hardware so it is removable? I'd like it to be as simple as possible, and also water-tight.
There will be either one large panel, or 3 individual pieces: top large piece, and then triangle shaped side/top ones that are curved.

There will be clear Polycarbonate for the side windows and front windshield, and that will flat lap onto the roof sheet metal. I plan to add drip lips above to direct water away from the lap joint.

I have purchased 16 & 18 ga sheet metal for this. Which one would be better to use?

I've been following several of the projects on here, and really appreciate the time many of you take to document techniques and progress. The craftsmanship is wonderful to see!

Thanks
Kent

Eastern South Dakota (work & home)

Researching sheetmetal shaping and forming, starting to buy the tools and practice the techniques

My shop projects: www.kustomsbykent.com
Old 06-20-2017, 07:16 PM

Red color indicates the main roof piece, and purple indicates the triangle filler piece that will be on both sides.
ATTC roof sheet metal 6-20-17.jpg

Researching sheetmetal shaping and forming, starting to buy the tools and practice the techniques

Last edited by Kent_323is; 06-20-2017 at 07:19 PM. Reason: embedding the picture
Old 06-20-2017, 09:39 PM

Impressive Project!
Have you considered making it removable, a convertable top of sorts? Seems like it would be a little closer to nature for the user.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 06-21-2017, 07:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

really a very impressive project!

and i'm amazed i can see in to the future and see what is outside your shop on march 25th 2107
Old 06-21-2017, 08:24 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Wow! That is one cool 'ride'.

The first thing that popped into my head when I read 'all terrain' vehicle, is that it most likely will encounter all kinds of 'terrain' and you might expect to have many opportunities for that frame to flex. I don't see very much in the way of bracing, so the first thing that I would say is that what ever you use for material and however you choose to mount these panels, you might benefit from considering a 'flexible/floating' mounting design to prevent cracks from occurring.

Way cool project. Keep us up to date.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
really a very impressive project!

and i'm amazed i can see in to the future and see what is outside your shop on march 25th 2107
It took me a bit to find that error, but I have it fixed now! Thanks for pointing it out, I try catch errors, but some slip through the cracks!

Thanks
Kent

Old 06-21-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Wow! That is one cool 'ride'.

The first thing that popped into my head when I read 'all terrain' vehicle, is that it most likely will encounter all kinds of 'terrain' and you might expect to have many opportunities for that frame to flex. I don't see very much in the way of bracing, so the first thing that I would say is that what ever you use for material and however you choose to mount these panels, you might benefit from considering a 'flexible/floating' mounting design to prevent cracks from occurring.

Way cool project. Keep us up to date.
Thanks Will! I plan to add a few more gussets to the actual roll cage to help constrain it.
However, the part that isn't really visible is the main frame for the unit, and that's comprised of 4"x4" x 1/4" square tube, and it is mighty stiff!
The actual roll cage is 1.5" round tube with 0.120" walls, and then some 1.0" tubes for the smaller areas.
The tracks ride on boogie wheels that have an air suspension system and quite a bit of articulation.

I do like the thought of a floating mounting design for the roof, and would help to prevent cracking or wrinkling if there is some flex.

Which makes me think of the clamping method for hold-downs on a milling table, something similar could clamp the roof panel to the roll cage tubes.
Is that a typical way of mounting panels to a tube structure?
Since sheet metal vehicle panels are a new area for me, I want to make sure I'm not designing something that is going to cause problems in the future, and is as simple as possible (ie, less work!).

Thanks
Kent

Old 06-22-2017, 03:00 AM

Hi Kent,
Why not use Sikaflex, 221 or 227 should be fine for that application. Fast cure, flexible.